New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

LAN Between Mac and Windows PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hal9000

Hal9000 is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys! New to the site, hope I can find some good help here.

I've been searching everywhere for the last two days for an answer and have found nothing so I figure I should ask the experts.

I have a Mac G5 running the latest OS,

and I have a PC running Vista Home Basic.

My PC has a wireless card receiving internet from another room,

My MAC has no wireless card.

I have connect both computers with one ethernet cable.

What I really need to do is use my P.C.'s internet.

HOW DO I DO THIS????

(NOTES) I tried finding out how to set up a LAN network between them but couldnt

Some say it can't be done, but if some kid can hack into the C.I.A. then I'm pretty sure its a possibility. Even if ur a hacker and you know how PLEASE TELL ME

Thanks a lot guys!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just to be sure I understand your question so I can better help you.

You have a Vista Laptop and connect to your internet Via WiFi (Wireless). The G5 Mac is in the same area as the Vista Laptop and you want to get internet from the Vista Laptop to the Mac Via an Ethernet cable. Is this right??

I will get you the settings for Vista to allow it to share internet with the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Hal9000

Hal9000 is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks a lot! I dont have a Vista Laptop though... It is also a desktop. (MDG): Embarrasing I know lol
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Reason I thought Laptop is the WiFi. Ok, same difference. The Desktop gets the internet from the router and a cable is going from the Ethernet port on the Vista Desktop to the G5 Mac.

Will get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
mgmcc

mgmcc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini "Lion", iPad2, iPod Touch

The Mac side of things should be straightforward - connect it by ethernet cable to the PC and let it get its addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS Servers) by DHCP from the Vista PC. When connecting two PCs, it is normally necessary to use a "crossover" ethernet cable, but I understand Macs have "autosensing" ports, so this isn't necessary.

In the PC, go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type ncpa.cpl and click OK), right click the actual internet connection (Modem connection) and select Properties, then the Sharing tab. Tick the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection". Windows will automatically configure your "Local Area Connection"** with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and enable IP Routing, so the PC acts as a router and DHCP server.

**If there is more than one "free" network adapter available with which to connect a "client" computer, there will be a drop-down menu from which to select the appropriate adapter.

Internet Connection Sharing must use the 192.168.0.0 Subnet (i.e. the "host" PC must have the address 192.168.0.1 and allocate addresses between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254). Therefore, it is essential that the Router to which your PC is connecting doesn't operate in the same Subnet. If your particular Router has the IP address 192.168.0.1, then change its third 'octet' to something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc.

If your PC runs the Zone Alarm firewall, the Internet Zone security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "Internet Connection Sharing" traffic will be blocked.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is EquitracPrinterUtilityX needed to print? | Setting up Dlink DCS-2121 with Time Capsule »