New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Is there a free alternative to Airfoil?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

socialpest

i know i'm a cheap skate, but i was wondering if anyone knows if there is free alternative to airfoil out there?

i wanna listen to real internet radio via my speakers which are hooked up to my airport express.
QUOTE Thanks
andremal

What do you mean "real internet radio"? iTunes has some awesome stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpest
i know i'm a cheap skate, but i was wondering if anyone knows if there is free alternative to airfoil out there?

i wanna listen to real internet radio via my speakers which are hooked up to my airport express.
QUOTE Thanks
socialpest

yeah i know you are totally right. the real reason was a bit longer to type... and i didn't really want to go into so much details but here goes...

i've got a load of apps open on my powerbook and it's running a tad slow even though i have a gig of ram. i had this bright idea that i could stream somafm through VLC and hook it up to my airport express so i could close itunes down and help speed things up a little. i know itunes is not a massive app but i would assume that it uses up more resources than VLC. all the other apps i need open to complete the work i'm doing.

i guess not only am i a cheap skate i'm lazy at typing too!
QUOTE Thanks
andremal

LOL, good enough. Was just wondering because I used to run Winamp on my PC and I absolutely loved the Digitally Imported internet radio station as well as Groove Salad. I was thrilled to see them both available thru iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpest
yeah i know you are totally right. the real reason was a bit longer to type... and i didn't really want to go into so much details but here goes...

i've got a load of apps open on my powerbook and it's running a tad slow even though i have a gig of ram. i had this bright idea that i could stream somafm through VLC and hook it up to my airport express so i could close itunes down and help speed things up a little. i know itunes is not a massive app but i would assume that it uses up more resources than VLC. all the other apps i need open to complete the work i'm doing.

i guess not only am i a cheap skate i'm lazy at typing too!
QUOTE Thanks
socialpest

mmmm groove salad - that's exactly what i'm listening to on this lovely sunny day
QUOTE Thanks
Guitarist

Guitarist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.67 ghz Powerbook 15.2 inch screen 1 gig ram

so is there an alternative to airfoil
QUOTE Thanks
cenkalti

cenkalti is on a distinguished road

Have a look: speakershare - Project Hosting on Google Code
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac Wirless internet problems! | Wireless Question »