Exclamation Macbooks wont connect to wireless connection
    We have 2 Macbooks at home; a 2.53Ghz Macbook pro and a 2.4GHz Macbook. For some reason they do not connect to our wireless connection at home. If we want to connect we have to do it manually with the ADSL cable.

We have a a LINKSYS WAG325N ADSL 2+ Gateway (located downstairs) and a LINKSYS WAP4400N Access point (located upstairs-closer to our rooms, used to connect through this with our PCs).

The 2.4ghz Macbook connects through the modem (if we move it downstairs closer to the modem) but the 2.53Ghz does not either way.

I get a connection time out alert after I type in the WPA password. The same WPA password is used with the PCs at home and they log on normally.

Help!!

P.S. Im a macbook freshie (have had my macbook pro for 3 weeks now) and I'm not so good with networking so bare with me the stupid the questions if they come up and if you can make you explanation as simple as possible.

Cheers

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Are you certain that it's using WPA and not WEP?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Are you certain that it's using WPA and not WEP?
    Yep, WPA-Personal.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by faaa6 View Post
    Yep, WPA-Personal.
    When you look at the settings for security on the router, does it offer you only WPA, or WPA2 as well?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    When you look at the settings for security on the router, does it offer you only WPA, or WPA2 as well?
    It offers WPA2, RADIUS, and WEP.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Can you try it with WPA2 and see if then connects and let us know?

If not, in the routers config for WPA, is there also a clicker for AES or TKIP? If so how is that set?

It didn't connect.

It says:

Encryption: TKIP or AES (As one option)

Ok I think I figured out what the problem is. So this is what I did:

Updated the firmware and disabled the security which made me connect (to the router) but as soon as I walked away from the router and got closer to the access point I lost connection and when I tried to reconnect I had to retype the password (even when its disabled from the router).

So Im guessing the problem is that I need to reconfigure the settings of the access point and make it identical to that of the router. Problem is, HOW?! According to Cisco this is the default address: 192.168.1.245, but that page doesn't open with me

Is there any way I can access the access points configuration through the router settings?!

Alright. This may seem stupidly obvious, but are all the router's drivers installed correctly on your MacBook? Furthermore, is there an application that allows you to manage your router, and what signal is it broadcasting in (B/G/N)

It was installed by one of the PCs at home and I access the 192.168.1.1 page normally with my Mac. I have no idea what b/g/n is, my router is a WAG325N if thats what you mean? Otherwise can you tell where to look so I can figure out what signal is broadcasting?

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    You do not need a utility for a Linksys router. Besides Apple Airport routers, most just use a Web Interface to change the settings. I would do some checking your access point but I am just heading out the door. If no one else is around to help you, when I get back I will see what I can find and get back to you. I am not familiar with your model Linksys Access Point.

^Alright thanks

I managed to access my AP's IP and I disabled the security and both Macs managed to connect. Now the problem is I can't log on back to secure it. I get a '401 Bad Request - cannot use wireless interface to access web'

Thread Information