New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Mac Pro - Macbooks wont connect to wireless connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

faaa6

faaa6 is on a distinguished road

We have 2 Macbooks at home; a 2.53Ghz Macbook pro and a 2.4GHz Macbook. For some reason they do not connect to our wireless connection at home. If we want to connect we have to do it manually with the ADSL cable.

We have a a LINKSYS WAG325N ADSL 2+ Gateway (located downstairs) and a LINKSYS WAP4400N Access point (located upstairs-closer to our rooms, used to connect through this with our PCs).

The 2.4ghz Macbook connects through the modem (if we move it downstairs closer to the modem) but the 2.53Ghz does not either way.

I get a connection time out alert after I type in the WPA password. The same WPA password is used with the PCs at home and they log on normally.

Help!!

P.S. Im a macbook freshie (have had my macbook pro for 3 weeks now) and I'm not so good with networking so bare with me the stupid the questions if they come up and if you can make you explanation as simple as possible.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Are you certain that it's using WPA and not WEP?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
faaa6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Are you certain that it's using WPA and not WEP?
Yep, WPA-Personal.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by faaa6 View Post
Yep, WPA-Personal.
When you look at the settings for security on the router, does it offer you only WPA, or WPA2 as well?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
faaa6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
When you look at the settings for security on the router, does it offer you only WPA, or WPA2 as well?
It offers WPA2, RADIUS, and WEP.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Can you try it with WPA2 and see if then connects and let us know?

If not, in the routers config for WPA, is there also a clicker for AES or TKIP? If so how is that set?
QUOTE Thanks
faaa6

It didn't connect.

It says:

Encryption: TKIP or AES (As one option)
QUOTE Thanks
faaa6

Ok I think I figured out what the problem is. So this is what I did:

Updated the firmware and disabled the security which made me connect (to the router) but as soon as I walked away from the router and got closer to the access point I lost connection and when I tried to reconnect I had to retype the password (even when its disabled from the router).

So Im guessing the problem is that I need to reconfigure the settings of the access point and make it identical to that of the router. Problem is, HOW?! According to Cisco this is the default address: 192.168.1.245, but that page doesn't open with me

Is there any way I can access the access points configuration through the router settings?!
QUOTE Thanks
Vega

Vega is on a distinguished road

Alright. This may seem stupidly obvious, but are all the router's drivers installed correctly on your MacBook? Furthermore, is there an application that allows you to manage your router, and what signal is it broadcasting in (B/G/N)
QUOTE Thanks
faaa6

It was installed by one of the PCs at home and I access the 192.168.1.1 page normally with my Mac. I have no idea what b/g/n is, my router is a WAG325N if thats what you mean? Otherwise can you tell where to look so I can figure out what signal is broadcasting?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You do not need a utility for a Linksys router. Besides Apple Airport routers, most just use a Web Interface to change the settings. I would do some checking your access point but I am just heading out the door. If no one else is around to help you, when I get back I will see what I can find and get back to you. I am not familiar with your model Linksys Access Point.
QUOTE Thanks
faaa6

^Alright thanks

I managed to access my AP's IP and I disabled the security and both Macs managed to connect. Now the problem is I can't log on back to secure it. I get a '401 Bad Request - cannot use wireless interface to access web'
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Router for Mac's | 401 Problem when trying to connect to router »