New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

OS 10.5 - How to use two networks at the same time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tnonsrichai

tnonsrichai is on a distinguished road

Since i have two wifi adapters and two different numbers, is there a way i can use both of the connections at the same time on my mackbook pro?
QUOTE Thanks
tnonsrichai

tnonsrichai is on a distinguished road

^upup
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sure, but you're going to have trouble directing traffic over one connection instead of the other. Your network-connected apps won't be sure which to use.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

This is definitely possible.

I frequently have to do this at work where access to our internal network needs to be on my ethernet connection, and connectivity to the outside work runs through my Airport card.

Typically this type of setup is done when you want to see two disconnected networks (as explained above) on the same machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Konan

Konan is an unknown at this point

Sure. It is done all the time. You can have as many different connections as you have adapters, either wireless, ethernet or usb/ethernet/wireless. I use one connection to to go only the Internet and another to get to the other machines in my house that I don't want the Internet to be able to see. Two totally different networks that are only connected at my Mac.

Konan
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Sure, but you're going to have trouble directing traffic over one connection instead of the other. Your network-connected apps won't be sure which to use.
I think the order of the network adapters in the list under system preferences > network is what determines it. But yeah, unless a website isn't available through the first wifi connection, nothing will be sent over the second network adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
synoptase

synoptase is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Sure. It is done all the time. You can have as many different connections as you have adapters, either wireless, ethernet or usb/ethernet/wireless. I use one connection to to go only the Internet and another to get to the other machines in my house that I don't want the Internet to be able to see. Two totally different networks that are only connected at my Mac.

Konan
Hi,

Can you explain a bit how this is done. I'm thinking of the routes you need to set up.
What you describe is exactly my situation :
- ethernet on a 172.30/12 local network for mail, fileserver etc.
- wifi on a 78.250/12 network (personnal open wifi) for internet

I'v currently set up the order of my networks so that wifi is in the first place. You can imagine that, without the correct routes, my local network can't reach ie my local outlook server.

What operations/configurations has to be done in order to work ?
QUOTE Thanks
synoptase

A little up !
QUOTE Thanks
synoptase

Anyone ?
QUOTE Thanks
LasVegasGeek

LasVegasGeek is on a distinguished road

Problem:

Need to browse on wireless network.
Need to print on a different, wired network.

Solution:

System Preferences - Network

1. Create a new location - not default - for the place where I have this problem.

2. Make sure to plug in both the cat 5 ethernet cable and enable the wireless connection.

3. On bottom of left hand side of Network Settings window (right above the lock icon) - click on the configuration button and choose Set Service Order

4. Apply

5. Test it
QUOTE Thanks
Egg

Egg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: many

Depending on your router you can use some as a proxy server. After that just go into advanced network and specify which proxy to use for each protocol like http etc...

Have a nice diurnal anomaly
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Depending on your router you can use some as a proxy server. After that just go into advanced network and specify which proxy to use for each protocol like http etc...
This has nothing to do with proxies.

There is a similar thread where I explained how to do it here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/air...rate-them.html

Tex
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport connection drops every 10 minutes | Two network interfaces, how separate them? »