New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

New Airport Extreme not doubling any range !

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AudiSportB5S4

AudiSportB5S4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: New Aluminum Macbook!

I've made a few threads regarding the new airport already, but last night I hooked it up, which of course as any Apple product goes is very easy, you never run into any problems...

However, I'm getting the same performance as my old dome shaped Airport was getting... Isn't this supposed to be 2X the range? I don't understand what could be interfering with this thing because it's only one floor above where my laptop runs and I have it placed high up on top of a cabinet rather than right next to the iMac that it provides a wired connection to...

Are there any tips/tricks I can work out in the manual settings to play with this thing? The multicast rate is low, but I've read somewhere that has to do with streaming video or media? The transmit power is 100%, and the channel was set to AUTO, and it was going to channel 11, which I ended up changing to 10 because there is another network in the house and that is on 11 as well (people live above us). I used that iStumbler thing and said I was running on 11, and they were on 11...

At the same rate, the 5GHz network doesn't work much better at all either, that runs on like channel 149.. I don't know what to do

Sorry for long post, just trying to get it squared away.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Placement, ambient conditions, and building construction have a lot to do with the effective range of a router.

Also, if you have any non-802.11n devices, it could be dragging the rest of the network down (although this is not true of some routers, I'm not sure about the new AE).

How is the router situated in your home?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
AudiSportB5S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Placement, ambient conditions, and building construction have a lot to do with the effective range of a router.

Also, if you have any non-802.11n devices, it could be dragging the rest of the network down (although this is not true of some routers, I'm not sure about the new AE).

How is the router situated in your home?
Yeah, it's really weird.. The router is placed on top of a 5 foot tall cabinet so it is free of any possible interference right next to it..

The only other wireless client the airport has is PS3, but that doesn't always run, like when I was in Airport Utility while on the PS3 it showed 2 wireless clients. When the PS3 is off and I'm on the laptop back in the utility it shows 1 client, being my laptop.

I may get a longer ethernet and place it as far away from the computer as possible still on top of that cabinet. It's hard to explain !

Another good question would be, do other wireless networks interfere with eachother? There are 3 total in the house. One from the people who live above us, and then there is the Airport, as well as Verizons router which is also a wifi network. Saturday we are going back to Cablevision thank God and I will disconnect that sucker. Maybe that will help?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiSportB5S4 View Post
Another good question would be, do other wireless networks interfere with eachother? There are 3 total in the house. One from the people who live above us, and then there is the Airport, as well as Verizons router which is also a wifi network. Saturday we are going back to Cablevision thank God and I will disconnect that sucker. Maybe that will help?
Absolutely. They will stomp all over each other.

Use the AP Grapher utility I mentioned earlier and find out what channel they're using. Then, set the channel to the opposite extreme of what their channel(s) are set to.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
AudiSportB5S4

Quote:
Absolutely. They will stomp all over each other.

Use the AP Grapher utility I mentioned earlier and find out what channel they're using. Then, set the channel to the opposite extreme of what their channel(s) are set to.
Ahh, gotcha. That could be the issue then, because I know that all of the channels are set to 11... So setting the Airport Extreme to 1 would be a good idea? I'll try that later on!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiSportB5S4 View Post
Ahh, gotcha. That could be the issue then, because I know that all of the channels are set to 11... So setting the Airport Extreme to 1 would be a good idea? I'll try that later on!
Absolutely. Now, they're in the same band (2.4GHz), but each channel is a slightly different frequency (2.42, 2.43, etc). The farther the spread, the better the signal should be. And of course, make sure all cordless phone bases, microwave ovens and anything else emitting RF is far away from the router.

QUOTE Thanks
AudiSportB5S4

Quote:
Absolutely. Now, they're in the same band (2.4GHz), but each channel is a slightly different frequency (2.42, 2.43, etc). The farther the spread, the better the signal should be. And of course, make sure all cordless phone bases, microwave ovens and anything else emitting RF is far away from the router.
Great thanks a lot for your help..

Will see how that goes and report back. There is a cordless phone in that room, but its like 5.8Ghz or maybe even 6, it's some new AT&T one. But I will try that because there are two other wireless networks on the same channel running that I saw in that grapher.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« slow internet connection | Airport Card Not Installed »