New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

"wireless network appears to have been compromised..."

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nottechsavvy

nottechsavvy is on a distinguished road

hi to all you knowledgeable mac users

i've had a mac for a few years (macbook, running os x 10.4.11) with no problems with airport/internet etc. had cable installed today, and they gave me a new modem (netgear cvg824g).

i'm able to connect, but after a minute or so a box will pop up saying "the wireless network appears to have been compromised and will be disabled for a minute", and then disconnects itself.

i've googled this, and it seems that a lot of other people have had the same problem, but it's all a little over my head. i think it seems to be a ?security problem - i have to change my password to WPA2 rather than WPA? i can do that on my system preferences on my computer, but i'm not sure how to do it on the modem. i also tried changing the modem channel but it didn't seem to make any difference.

i'd REALLY appreciate some help! in as basic terms as you can possible explain it! or point me in the right direction.

thanks for any help you can give me
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You need to change it in your router, so you will need your admin password for the router to access the settings. What router are you using?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
nottechsavvy

Thanks for your help. It's a netgear wireless router CVG824G (that's what's written on the router). I've managed to turn off security on the router and my computer system preferences, but obviously that's not ideal long term. When I try to change the password on the router to WAP2 etc, but it asks me for a "radius key" - I don't know what that means.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help
QUOTE Thanks
nottechsavvy

Hi all - think it's sorted now, so thanks for your help (figured out how to change to WPA2). cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
sheri3466

sheri3466 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.53GHz

Hi Guys, Just to say, I've had this same problem since purchsing a new Macbook Pro. I eventually phoned Apple Customer Care. They advised me to change the channel on my router - no use. I cannot change my TKIP to AES, my Orange Livebox router does not have that facility. No question is this - why did my 1 year old Macbook running the latest updated Leopard have no problems connecting, and my nice shiny new Macbook Pro have this error message??? It's infuriating, esecially since when it cuts my connection to the web, it cuts off my family too! I'm not popular at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
zoooj

zoooj is on a distinguished road

Finally, someone with exactly the same problem as me - Livebox, therefore stuck with WPA-TKIP and intermittent access with Airport. Time to change provider I think.

[Edit] I might have found a solution: DailyTech - MacBook Pro AirPort Auto Connect and Connection Drop Issues Solved?. So far so good with no drops. Another solution (apparently from the genius bar) is to place the ethernet service below the airport one: MacBook Pro AirPort issues solved.

[Edit 2] Feeling a bit nervous about following the last instruction to delete the Library > SystemConfiguration directory I rolled back the changes and tried the other solution, ie to reorder the services. This has worked too. I'll see if it lasts ...
QUOTE Thanks
Unibody

Unibody will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody (Jan 09)

I had this issue when I replaced my WRT54G with a WRT610N. You have to change TKIP to AES and all will be good.
QUOTE Thanks
zoooj

zoooj is on a distinguished road

I gave Orange Mac Technical support a call and they talked me through the solution. Each Orange Livebox has 13 channels. However, other wireless devices may interfere with the Livebox, especially if it's using one of the lower channels. He explained that most devices only have up to 9 channels.

First, turn Airport off and connect using the ethernet table. Make sure you can connect to the internet using this to ensure the problem isn't the Livebox.

Next, in a browser launch http://configuration.adsl. After logging in select Security > Wireless Connection. Change the channel to 11 or higher and click submit. Next go to Configuration > Advanced > Wireless and click Submit (WPA selected).

Finally, disconnect the ethernet cable and turn Airport on and it should connect successfully. I did this about 5 hours ago and haven't lost the connection once. Two of these hours I was watching the BBC iPlayer without any pauses at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macintosh computer cannot see d link wireless ?? | Cannot Connect to Airport Extreme »