New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Setting Up Static IP Address for Mac OS X v10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jhobgoo

jhobgoo is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am using this guide in order to set up a static ip address as recommended for optimized downloading using the uTorrent for mac torrent client. My router is a LinkSys BEFW11S4v4 router and, according to my Airport Settings, the router's ip address is 10.40.30.10

I'm having trouble translating the guide linked to above from OS X v10.4 to OS X v10.5...Any help/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You really shouldn't need to setup a static IP address. Your router shouldn't need to change the IP unless you have a ton of machines on your network. Additionally, if you set your wireless card to static IP, you may have problems if you take the computer to another location.

My recommendation would be to set a DHCP reservation for your IP (not sure if that router supports it, as it's really quite old now), but even if you don't, it should be fine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jhobgoo

Hmm...Well honestly, I was just curious to see what kind of DL speeds I could get once optimized per the guide I was using to see what kind of benefits (if any) I would get. I'm downloading at a satisfactory speed at the moment in my opinion, so I'm really not dying to see what would happen. Only slightly curious...

How do I go about setting up a DHCP reservation?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobgoo View Post
Hmm...Well honestly, I was just curious to see what kind of DL speeds I could get once optimized per the guide I was using to see what kind of benefits (if any) I would get. I'm downloading at a satisfactory speed at the moment in my opinion, so I'm really not dying to see what would happen. Only slightly curious...

How do I go about setting up a DHCP reservation?
Bittorrent is a give and take system. The more you give, the more (and faster) you can take. If your system is downloading at anything above a slow crawl, that means it's able to upload at decent speeds.

Also do note that the more you have to share, the better your ratio is, the better your speed will be.

So, my guess would be that you have port forwarding set up correctly and there's really nothing more you need to do. I can't help you with that particular router at the moment, as I don't have access to one (although I will next Saturday if you really feel the need to mess with it).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jhobgoo

To tell the truth, I have everything at near-default settings. I tested my upload speed via speedtest.net and did the whole .80 factor upload speed thing. I also changed my max connections to 450 DL and 200 UL. It's working just fine. I haven't even touched my router's connection settings.

So really I was just curious, no real need to get anything taken care of. Thanks for the offer though!
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well for 10.5 it's pretty much the same way. Pick Network from System Preferences. Then choose your main internet connection, whether it be Ethernet or Airport, then click Advanced.

Under the TCP/IP tab look for the "Configure IPv4:" and set it to "Manually" instead of the other option that is set. Then just change the IPv4 address to something like 192.168.1.101. After that go into your router settings and port-forward the port your using on uTorrent to that specific IP address you entered and Voila!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transferring data from windows to mac | Help With File Sharing And The New 13.3" Macbook Pro »