New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Comcast and Airport Extreme for wireless Internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

green6767

green6767 is on a distinguished road

So I just moved from an area where I was using CableOne Internet for over 4 years with NO issues with an Airport Extreme for wireless networking with my MBP.

I've just moved to an area with Comcast. I've heard mixed answers from their reps on whether or not I can use my Airport Extreme for my wireless Internet without an intermittent connectivity issues. One rep said if I use my Airport Extreme, but I will have connection dropouts. He told me I'd have to purchase the $150 Home Networking package with their N class router.

Another rep said I won't have this issue if I get my Airport Extreme router configured with Apple.

Does anybody have an insight for me?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm sure Comcast would "love" to sell you their $150 home networking package.

Try setting up the AE first before deciding what to do. If it turns out your AE doesn't work the way it did before, you can always purchase another wireless router. (And it doesn't have to be one from Comcast.)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
AppleFreak81

AppleFreak81 is on a distinguished road

I have comcast internet and i have the new airport extreme and everything in my house is set up on wireless and its flawless with no issues. I even have my external hdd and printer hooked up through the usb on the ae so i can access both on my home network regardless what im using at the time.

I have it hooked up as you normally would.....cable from wall to comcast modem then from there regular modem ethernet to my ae and all is sweet.

iMac 24" 2.66 Ghz
Macbook Aluminum Unibody 2.4 Ghz
iPhone 3G S on T-Mobile: MMS and Internet Tethering
Black iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
Polkadotcom

Polkadotcom is on a distinguished road

I'm having issues with this too. My setup is exactly the same as described above: wall cable > modem > ethernet > airport, and my light just blinks amber. But if I go wall cable > modem > ethernet > mac, I have internet just fine. I never created a comcast.net username/password. Could this have something to do with it? Am I missing an aiprort setting somewhere? Are the comcast/airport extreme not compatible? Should I just get a different wireless router and bag the airport extreme? Thanks for all your help
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Great... I'm getting Comcast Cable internet this weekend since I moved to an area with slow DSL. I'm going to be bummed if my Airport tanks on Comcast.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Don't use Comcast. I just don't recommend it. Here's why:

Comcast provides cable internet. This means the company has to physically come to your house and string cables for internet. Costly and un-needed.

A company like AT&T provides DSL through your phone line. No extra stringing of wires involved.

Yes, it has nothing to do with Airport Extreme. Just a general tip about internet service

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
Don't use Comcast. I just don't recommend it. Here's why:

Comcast provides cable internet. This means the company has to physically come to your house and string cables for internet. Costly and un-needed.

A company like AT&T provides DSL through your phone line. No extra stringing of wires involved.

Yes, it has nothing to do with Airport Extreme. Just a general tip about internet service
Can't make this kind of generalization.

When I switched from DSL it was sitting at 1 Mb/sec download and cable at 7 Mb/sec download for the same money. My cable went up to 10Mb a yr and 1/2 ago without a price increase.

Another line run to the house, tied right to another already running to it for 10x the bandwidth? - I say bring it on baby!!

And for anyone using Comcast for their TV service or the house was previously wired for cable TV, there is no extra cabling to be run. It's sitting there already just waiting.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule and Mac Pro | Internet connection through timecapsule not working on windows 7 »