New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Open DNS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

-mateusz

-mateusz is on a distinguished road

Hi i recently switched to Macs and let me just say i live everything about them. About a month ago or so i signed up with the free Open DNS web service to anonymize my activity and all that. Or thats at least what was recommended to me for that reason. Everything was fine until i noticed that my download speeds were uber slow, if its up at 20Kb/s thats fast, and thats never happened to me before. Im not sure if tahts what caused it or not but i started to notice it close to the time i signed up for this service and now ive been trying to fix it/get rid of it. ive changed my Network settings so that my DNS is retrieved automatically instead of it going through the Open DNS servers but no cigar.
I was just wondering if anytone knows how to fix this, or could it be a problem with something else that i dont know of? I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks,

matt
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

openDNS should not be affecting your download speeds and should only affect the speed by which pages are loaded (or better yet, located). Are you sure you removed the openDNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) from the Network prefs? What else have you changed recently with your router/network settings?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
-mateusz

Yeah i got rid of those DNS servers. Just now i tried forwarding my ports and it looks like the speeds improved a little (up to about 30Kb/s) but its still not what i had before downloading at at least 100Kb/s. And im not sure what else i could have done to affect this, i know i changed the settings in my Azureus for best download speeds referring to the Wiki page and after that it seemed to boost my download speeds but shortly after was when i registered with Open DNS and noticed the speeds go down. Do you know what it could be?
QUOTE Thanks
-mateusz

And i just did a speedtest. I used to average around 10-15 Mb/s downloading and 0.50Mb/s uploading looking at my previous tests and this time i got this:

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't know who told you that Open DNS would give you anonymous surfing ability because it's not true. If you're currently using your ISP's DNS settings and your speeds are still slow, then there may be something wrong with your router settings or Airport settings. Without any other information from you, we can't suggest a remedy. The only thing I can suggest is to check all your settings.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that you mentioned Azureus. Is this problem specific to torrents? If so, it could be a few things including a lack of seeders and/or throttling. It appears as if throttling may be a problem with Shaw.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
-mateusz

No it was all torrents regardless of the seeders/lechers. and i played a little with it last night and i think i might have fixed it. It might have been my azureus settings cause i just deleted the configuration file and started over, reset my settings and so far it seems as though its running good, getting around 200Kb/s speeds
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I've also read that Shaw's throttling is spotty in that it comes and goes. If it comes back, it might be something to consider.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
-mateusz

And what do you exactly mean by throttling?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

See wikipedia here. Essentially, it would be your ISP preventing higher speeds if you are using a lot of bandwidth (as is done with torrents).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
-mateusz

Oh alright thanks, ill keep an eye out for that. And im guessing if thats the case then i cant do much since its my provider blocking it right?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

There are ways around bittorrent throttling but I don't know if there are any repercussions for doing so as I only use bittorrent rarely and don't download much with it (a linux distro or two a month at most).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
-mateusz

Oh alright, well thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« small network setup | Can't connect to network »