New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless on Imac intermittent

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Having some problems here with my Imac.

Every so often my connection drops. It'll happen typically once an hour, for about 5-10 mins at a time. It's a 20" Imac intel, connecting to a D-link wireless router.

Most of the time if I switch airport off then on again, it'll wake up. Sometimes it can't find the router though so i have to wait.

I'd definitely be blaming the router if it wasn't for the fact my wife is sitting 10 feet from me with her Compaq notebook, and has a completely reliable connection via the same router.

So, other than run an ethernet cable and use a hard connection (I'm on a different floor to the router, so will avoid that like the plague), is there any tweaking I can do to get my airport card to connect better?

TIA.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Most of the issues are when channel selection is set to auto if you manually
select one from 1 to 11 in the router this problem goes away. Also it would
be a good idea to download i-stumbler to find the channel with the least amount of traffic and the best signal to noise.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing Internet Mac-PC w/out Router | Wireless issue with Mac and Xbox 360 »