New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Router Buying Advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kznefkt

kznefkt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X Lion

Hi guys,

I recently bought a new MacBook and am looking to finally go wireless! However, I've been looking around and I don't have the slightest clue to which sort of router I should be getting. So here's the questions:

- Should I get an all-in-one modem/router to replace my current fixed line ADSL modem? or should I just buy a router?
- BRANDS! Everyone has their opinions and I've heard a lot today. "Linksys are the best!" "Linksys are crap" "Ring up your isp and get their one." So if anyone can offer their opinion to what brand or model I should get to add to this frustration it would be much appreciated haha!

I don't want to spend too much, but I want something decent. So far a lot of people are recommending this one:

Dynalink ADSL2+ 4-Port Wireless Modem Router Router Reviews Australia www.dynalink.co.nz

thoughts?

cheers,

kznefkt
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Ok depends - seems u r in NZ so that means ADSL and then it depends on what you plan on doing with it. If u r planning on using iChat - Leopard/ScreenShare and are comfortable with opening ports then most of them except Telecoms give aways will be able to be sorted. Here in NZ i have advised some 12 or 14 bods to change to Netgear DG834 and that has been zero config out of the box essentially and no down stream drama with iChat. Skype will work with most because it opens so many ports.
QUOTE Thanks
kznefkt

kznefkt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X Lion

ok cool man, I plan to use it for just regular web browsing, downloading and some skype and iChat too. I'm with VodaFone on the red network at the moment, do I need to get a modem that's compatible with adsl2? and you obviously think getting the modem/router combo is the better way to go?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

to get the ADSL from the phone line to the computer you need a modem and most basic ones will do the trick. Getting a modem/router means for a little bit more you can extend your LAN, allow visitors to connect easily and run more than one unit without having to connect and disconnect ethernet leads. Just seems a better choice. I started of with a D-Link give away, had issues with that, changed to a DynaLink had issues with that and finally went for the Netgear. My suggestion is only based on getting a trouble free unit that will allow future expansion with little effort. If you are technically inclined most units will be able to be configured to achieve what you want.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« white list / whitelist - how to setup? | Port forwarding issues »