Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    May 04, 2009
    Posts
    17
    Very worried about mac & internet security
    I was reading up on some past posts & i noticed something odd on my mac the other day but didn't think about it until i saw someone who said they think that someone maybe mooching off their wi fi. I noticed under shared i have db0314037e744d0, so naturally i am worried someone is using my connection.It also says under general: pc server. I have a pc, my husbands mac, my mac & my iphone running off my wi fi connection so could any of the affore mentioned be the cuplrit & is there a way of checking if it is? If not how do i get rid of the problem? Any help appreciated.

  2. #2

    Kevriano's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2006
    Location
    Crawley, England
    Posts
    4,558
    Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    If you have the highest security setting in use on your router to protect your wi-fi connection you shouldn't get anyone leeching, unless they have some very trick software.
    Use the most secure WPA setting and choose something unguessable as a code, using unusual characters among letters and numbers.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

    Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)


  3. #3


    Member Since
    May 04, 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    If you have the highest security setting in use on your router to protect your wi-fi connection you shouldn't get anyone leeching, unless they have some very trick software.
    Use the most secure WPA setting and choose something unguessable as a code, using unusual characters among letters and numbers.
    Ok, thanks.So i have to go into the router settings then? Not being very technical, how do i get into my router settings to do this?

  4. #4

    mdfuller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 01, 2007
    Location
    Sconie
    Posts
    1,217
    Specs:
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    Your PC could be the one showing up as the "PC Server" as that is what a normal PC shows up as in mine as well. Is your wireless secure? Look at your DHCP leases on the router management interface and see who has been given an IP. If your wireless is not secure you need to make sure it is.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    May 04, 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
    Your PC could be the one showing up as the "PC Server" as that is what a normal PC shows up as in mine as well. Is your wireless secure? Look at your DHCP leases on the router management interface and see who has been given an IP. If your wireless is not secure you need to make sure it is.
    Sorry to sound thick, but i don't have a clue what dhcp lease is. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

  6. #6

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,980
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    What you are seeing are computers on the Network you are connected to. No one from the outside unless you are connected to say a neighbors WiFi, then their systems would show up there. Also if you are using WiFi with WEP or no Encryption and say a neighbor gets into your router and steals your WiFi, you might see their system in Shared also.

  7. #7

    mdfuller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 01, 2007
    Location
    Sconie
    Posts
    1,217
    Specs:
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilshack View Post
    Sorry to sound thick, but i don't have a clue what dhcp lease is. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Your router will have a management interface per the documentation (usually just an IP address). Once you get in there you can see if your router has handed out addresses to unauthorized users (i.e. neighbors stealing your Internet access). Just look in the documentation for your wireless router and it will make more sense.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    May 04, 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    What you are seeing are computers on the Network you are connected to. No one from the outside unless you are connected to say a neighbors WiFi, then their systems would show up there. Also if you are using WiFi with WEP or no Encryption and say a neighbor gets into your router and steals your WiFi, you might see their system in Shared also.
    I have somehow stumbled in some settings & i don't have wep as security but wpa.Also other neighbours wi fi has come up, all of theirs are secure apart from one, & that db031 number is not showing up on that list also the same db0314037e744d0 is showing up on my husbands mac, so i am thinking if it was someone leeching off my wifi that db031 number wouldn't be able to show up at the same time?

  9. #9

    mdfuller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 01, 2007
    Location
    Sconie
    Posts
    1,217
    Specs:
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    WPA is better than WEP. If you have your wireless protected with WPA I am guessing you have nothing to worry about.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    May 04, 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for your help & advise guys, much appreciated! : )

  11. #11

    blackmac11's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 16, 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, Ontario
    Posts
    498
    Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    Also, it can't hurt to change your password on a regular basis, just to be sure

    l
    Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

  12. #12

    IanCT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    497
    Specs:
    iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
    Do you have a wireless printer with a memory card reader? That will show up under Shared but it's usually listed under the MAC-ID (00-00-00-00-00-00)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Worried About Security
    By RazzLee in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
  2. Worried about my security...
    By eliehass in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 05:18 PM
  3. New to Airport...worried about security.
    By stereogram in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
  4. Should I Be Worried? Bringing Macbook thru Airport Security
    By MacNewbie in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 06:32 AM
  5. Mac internet Security??
    By code777 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •