New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Interesting Dilemma - Fix needed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

P_Delane

Guy's,

Hate to just register and then ask for help without contributing anything but i need so assistance.

I have a junky old G3 wallstreet without a zip drive or a cd burner. I have no external devices either. Is there anyway I can get my files from the dinosaur onto my new ibook G4. I've emailed really small stuff but there are graphics projects that i did in University which i'd like to have on my new machine.

I do have a router so i can have both machines online at the same time.

Any solutions?
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

The two options that I've personally used with good results are AIM and DropLoad.com.

If you can get both computers running AOL Instant Messenger, you can simply transfer files from one machine to the other via the program's simplified FTP "Send File or Folder" feature. All you would have to do is sign on with one screen name, then select the desired file or folder and send it to the screen name that is signed on with the other computer. I've used this method to send lots of very large 1+ GB folders, and it works very nicely (although not always ultra fast).

As another alternative, you can use a very handy website called DropLoad.com. It allows you to upload files as large as 100 MB, and then retrieve and download them with any other computer.

Oh, and if you decide you no longer want the WallStreet and plan on throwing it out, let me know and I'll pay for shipping costs if you wouldn't mind sending it to me.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

does the wallstreet have firewire port? use a firewire cable to transfer files. or, do you have an ipod? use that
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I don't think the wallstreet does have firewire...

But it probably has ethernet, so just pop in a network cable and you can just drag your files from the one to the other.

Alternatively since you say both are online at the same time, you could just try clicking 'go' in the finder menu and then hit 'connect to server'.

Enter the IP address of the other machine there and see if you can access it...
You can find the IP address in Network settings (in OSX 10.3 that is..)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you connect the two machines with a Network cable that just goes from Machine to Machine, be sure to use a Crossover cable.
QUOTE Thanks
peter_delane

peter_delane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook, 1.7 G4, 10.3.6

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up using the web on a site called yousendit.com I just stuffed all the files I wnated and sent with that. It lets you send up to a gig but it takes between 1-5 mins per mb. So it's not reccomended for large files.

I have a crossover ethernet cable but i can't seem to have the computers speak to each other. I'm just too dumb to figure it out.

The wallstreet has a broken screen - it just doesn't come on anymore (stays black) so i have it hooked up to a monitor. I will eventually get rid of it so you have first choice on it padawan. It's been upgraded quite a bit.

They Live :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
peter_delane

peter_delane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook, 1.7 G4, 10.3.6

Well stone the flamin' crows turns out that the little Mac Help centre solved my problem. I just didn't know how to communicate 0s9 with 0sX through Ethernet. Now i do

They Live :alien:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help!! Airport stopped working! | Still a newb, Networking to pc »