New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

VPN connect

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gixxersean

gixxersean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::

Hi I have an iMac and a MacBook. Both are running leopard. I'd like to connect to my iMac from my MacBook, but I was wondering if the iMac has to be running the Server edition of Leopard. I've been trying to connect and I keep getting the error message:

The server did not respond. Please check the server address and try again.

I put my ip address in correctly. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I attached a screenshot with x's instead of my personal information for security issues
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (460.2 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

If the 2 units are on the same network the simplest deal is to use iChat Bonjour. With that screen share is available in either direction. If you are looking at connecting back home from off site then with broadband iChat screenshare is still available but you will need 2 AIM registrations probably, but as they are free it is not a biggie. If dial up is involved Team Viewer will do the trick but only for screen share as audio is too greater a demand on the dial up.
QUOTE Thanks
gixxersean

gixxersean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::

I'd like to access my files at home while I'm out and about on my MacBook
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

There is a few ways of doing that, for ease of set up but a bit more costly is to buy a MobileMe account and keep both computers in Synch thru that. Or buy the Take Control of Back to my Mac per this series - Take Control Catalog - and learn from the experts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« remote networking | Screen sharing »