New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Problem: Double NAT

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikeyphotog

mikeyphotog is on a distinguished road

So I've read the other posts with this issue, most seem to ignore it and it still works, I haven't done anything and my internet works fine, but does anyone know what the problem really is and what is the best thing to fix it.

My air port has 2 options for me, I attached a screen shot of it.

My airport is hooked up to my cable modem which automatically provides the IP and DNS addresses. My internet seems to work fine with this problem, should I ignore it or chose one of the options?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (78.3 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is the brand and model of your cable modem?
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyphotog

mikeyphotog is on a distinguished road

I'm not too sure, it was given to me by my ISP and there wasn't a name or anything major on it, on the underneath of the modem I found the model # and a name Ambit on some sticker with the FCC logo on it. The model # is u10c018. Don't know if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

My limited understanding is that you have a deal that is redundant. You have an address that is being handed out and then handed out again because the airport is set to hand out DHCP instead of being bridged. The drama will occur when you have more units on your LAN and incoming data can't find it's way to the correct MAC - as in Machine Address Code - It does work but change the airport to Bridge, what is the problem with doing that?
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I have a similar configuration as you:

Code:
public IP ROUTER 192.168.1.1/24 ---- AirPort Express --- wlan --- my Macs
I'd recommend that you use the Bridge mode. In this case, the AirPort will just relay all the network communication into the wlan and your macs/pc will be in the same network as the router (e.g. 192.168.1.1)

If you use the "double NAT", your mac/pc would be in a new network as follows

Code:
public IP ROUTER 192.168.1.1/24 ---- AirPort Express 10.2.0.0/24 --- wlan --- my Macs
It's called double NAT because if you wanted to open a port for an application, you'd need to redirect (NAT) the port two times:
- on your router to the Airport Express
- on your Airport Express to your mac

So if you don't have a special need where you want to have two different networks, I'd go for the bdridged mode.

hope it helps

Tex
QUOTE Thanks
twdcmd

twdcmd is on a distinguished road

I would hazard a guess that your cable modem is also a router. Does it have multiple CAT5 ports on the back? If so, then it more than likely is and is already pushing out IP's via DHCP. I'm also basing my assumption on the fact that your airport is getting a private IP vs. a public IP that a regular cable modem would normally assign to the computer that's attached to it.

All that to say, I would recommend bridged mode.
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdcmd View Post
I would hazard a guess that your cable modem is also a router. Does it have multiple CAT5 ports on the back? If so, then it more than likely is and is already pushing out IP's via DHCP. I'm also basing my assumption on the fact that your airport is getting a private IP vs. a public IP that a regular cable modem would normally assign to the computer that's attached to it.

All that to say, I would recommend bridged mode.
Yes right, my previous post will only work only if your modem is also a router but I also suppose that it is a case
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder "connect as" in Ethernet HDD | Network USB Hub »