New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Not working or picking up signal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beaumonr

Hi,

My friend has a G4 powerbook and has purchased an Airport card. I'm a pc man.. sorry everyone... It came from an appple reseller in france, just a antistatic bag with card and no software. I plugged it into the slot onthe side... (fitted ok) and expected something to happen... but nothing. I found the airport stuff in networking and internet connect.. I can see an airport hex address (my pc speak MAC address) associated with the card but it does not pick up my linksys wireless router. I've got four PCs working happily.. no WEP, no MAC address filtering.. it's open.. totally. I've no way of knowing if the card is working ok. all the MAC networking stuff is configured for DHCP.. so is my router... stuck... can anyone help...

cheers

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
DVD Guy

I need this answer, too.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

Do you have 'wireless' enabled on the Linksys router? And if so, do you have an SSID entered and have it set to broadcast the SSID?

On the Mac, under the Network pref pane, do you see the Airport card in the list of things it uses to connect and is the little light next to it green? yellow?

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumonr
I plugged it into the slot onthe side... (fitted ok) and expected something to happen... but nothing.
The airport card doesn't plug into the PCMCIA slot. You have to install it internally, on my 12" PB, you have to remove the battery, and there's a little slot to slide the Airport Card and plug in the Antenna.

I've never heard of it working in the PCMCIA slot, but if the OS recognizes it and you get no signal, it's because the antenna is not plugged in to it, and in which case I would remove the card ASAP because you're transmitting without an antenna, even though the card puts out minimal wattage, you're still damaging a transmitter with no antenna, even slightly.

Quote:
I found the airport stuff in networking and internet connect.. I can see an airport hex address (my pc speak MAC address) associated with the card but it does not pick up my linksys wireless router.
Again, plug it in the correct port, and attach the antenna.

Once it's plugged in correct, all you have to do is setup for DHCP in the Network portion of System Preferences. Click the "Airport Bars" on the title bar of the finder to select your SSID.

Let me know how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
pstauff

on my iBook it's installed underneath the keyboard. Ditch the PC card installation and do it this way.

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/p...4-apc-cip1.pdf
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstauff
on my iBook it's installed underneath the keyboard. Ditch the PC card installation and do it this way.

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/p...4-apc-cip1.pdf
Correct, same goes with the G3 powerbook, but as of the G4 Powerbook, the Airport card is next to the battery, as the keyboard is not user removable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« connecting a g5 and an ibook | NO NET! Please Help!!!! »