Thread: I want a new router
02-17-2005, 07:09 AM #1gabe90GuestI want a new router
I have a really old router here, and I get very very slow download speeds. Also I can't use port forwarding with this router, which will also consideraby speed things up. So I want to get a new router.
The way I see it, to not get a wireless router at this point would be stupid. So I'm looking at the Airport router and the Linksys routers.
1. Will using a wireless router slow down my downloading speeds? I want wireless but if I won't be able to download at any reasonable speeds, I'll reconsider.
2. My roomate has a PC and he doesn't have a wireless card. If I get the Airport router, I won't be able connect his computer to the router through a wire will I? Is there anything I can do other than buying a wireless card for his computer?
3. I don't really have a third question I don't think, but if anyone here has any expereinces, good or bad, with any wireless routers and wants to share them, please feel free.
02-17-2005, 07:24 AM #2
- Member Since
- Oct 30, 2004
- San Antonio, Texas
- PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. no slow downs
2. yea, you can connect his pc via an ethernet cable.
3. I recommend a 3rd party router, the airport base station is overpriced, many linksys and other routers do more for half the cost. plus linksys has a router with a speed booster thatll increase your speed if thats important.
02-17-2005, 01:41 PM #3SogniXGuest
I highly recommend Linksys Wireless-G 4 port router with Speedbooster.
For better range, you can upgrade the Linksys router's antennas.
02-17-2005, 08:07 PM #4i2oadi2unnei2Guest
I'm all about Cisco products and have loved Linksys since its inception. With that being said, go for the Linksys, you've got the best of both world IMHO <smile>
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By 4:3 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 5Last Post: 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM
By mroblivion in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 1Last Post: 05-28-2011, 12:36 PM
By bellastrada in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 5Last Post: 09-21-2009, 03:41 AM
By bennjiboi in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 17Last Post: 01-16-2009, 07:59 AM
By grantscooter in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 2Last Post: 09-19-2006, 11:10 AM