New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook Pro - Problem with Netgear Router WNR2000

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hhatzis

hhatzis is on a distinguished road

I have a Netgear WNR2000 router. My MacBook Pro will connect wirelessly with the router but then at least twice a day will stop connecting to the internet and give me the error message, "self-assigned IP address may not be able to connect to the internet". To solve the problem I have to power cycle the modem and the router, doing this twice a day is becoming more than slightly annoying. I do not encounter this problem on my iMac or on my Windows based machines which are connecting to the internet via the same router. I have been on the phone with Apple Tech Support for nearly a 1/2 hour with no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight "Airport". Select the "advanced" button and then select the "TCP/IP" tab. In the Configure IPv4 box, make sure you have "Using DHCP" selected.

The Netgear is probably OK since both your PC and iMac are not have trouble with losing the connection.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kevind

kevind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight "Airport". Select the "advanced" button and then select the "TCP/IP" tab. In the Configure IPv4 box, make sure you have "Using DHCP" selected.

The Netgear is probably OK since both your PC and iMac are not have trouble with losing the connection.

Regards.
I have the same problem with my 2008 macbook pro (late) aluminum buttttttttt. anyways i have DHCP on and that doesn't really work out to well for me so i just tried manually assigning a DHCP and so far so good, if you need anyhelp let me know, or if you figure out a better way.
QUOTE Thanks
kevind

kevind is on a distinguished road

doesn't work idk, i feel like the range isn't what it says it is nearly!
QUOTE Thanks
merl

merl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhatzis View Post
I have a Netgear WNR2000 router. My MacBook Pro will connect wirelessly with the router but then at least twice a day will stop connecting to the internet and give me the error message, "self-assigned IP address may not be able to connect to the internet". To solve the problem I have to power cycle the modem and the router, doing this twice a day is becoming more than slightly annoying. I do not encounter this problem on my iMac or on my Windows based machines which are connecting to the internet via the same router. I have been on the phone with Apple Tech Support for nearly a 1/2 hour with no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather
I googled my way here. Just thought it might be useful to confirm similar experience. I have been using a WNR2000 problem-free for 18 months. No problems until I connected some "N" devices - macbook air 10.6 and (to a lesser extent) a mac mini 10.7.

The air behaves as you describe. Other devices (ps3, iphones, imac g5 etc) have no issues. I have been rebooting the router. Not good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Works great, then peters out or stops working completely | Proxy Settings »