New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Problems with Comcast and Wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tyard

tyard is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

About a month ago we shut down something with the phone from verizon, and they shut down the internet. Until a few days ago we were mooching off a neighbor's wireless. On Wednesday (Xmas eve), Santa-in the form of a Comcast contractor-came and installed internet (15 MBPS) and phone (we already had Dig. Cable). Unfortunately although wired works fine (wire strait from modem to iMac) hooking up my linksys WRT54G screws it up-leaving my PC mooching still, and my PS3 unable to connect due to a seemingly weaker reciever, which ruins the point for me-as those are what I use (net is faster on my pc on my own network). Now as far as wired I can't wire my PC/PS3, so I should think most of the "getting ready" will be done on the mac and in the network closet.
So, point is I need to get wireless, but hooking up a router screws stuff up. Heres and overview of equipment (some repeating):
Router: Linksys WRT54g (Wireless G)
Internet: Comcast High Speed Cable (15mbps)
Need: Hook up wireless router

So, anyone know what I need to do? New router?
Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
yemilipede

yemilipede is an unknown at this point

Have you tried contacting comcast to get them to reset your modem.

After they do that, you can unplug your modem, and leave it for 20 mins, then try plugging everything back in and turning on the modem.

I had the same problem as you with my Airport Express, and the above fixed the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Tried installing a wireless router with my comcast modem. Had to make the router clone the MAC address of the modem. Dunno if that's the problem here but that got mine to start working.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
tyard

Thanks guys, I'll try those out right now.
If they work you probably won't hear anything-It's been way too long since I've played a Call of Duty online game, and I just got WaW, so co-op campaign (uhh, actually what comes after the campaign), and tanks in multiplayer.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I have a similar setup to yours, but have never had to do anything special to get my router to work with my Comcast modem. It should be as simple as connecting it to the router with an ethernet cable, then plugging the power in. The router should get its IP from the router. Then, it's just a matter of logging into the router and setting up wireless security and you're done.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

You don't need to clone the MAC address. Simply reboot the modem after you have connected the router to it. The modem only marrys one device at a time, so you cannot disconnect the pc and plug in the router without rebooting modem.
QUOTE Thanks
tyard

I tried those. I'm getting a new router anyway, and speaking of which, think this is a good router? Belkin N Wireless Router Router reviews - CNET Reviews

Is that good? I am on a bit of a budget, so if it's not and you have a suggestion, please bear that in mind (I'd say up to $150, but really more $100 and less is best). Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'm not keen on Belkins, but others have had positive things to say about theirs.

I have a D-Link DIR-655, which is one of the top rated 802.11n routers and couldn't be happier with it. Prior to that, I had a Linksys WRT54GL, which was a very good unit as well and lasted me for over 5 years.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
tyard

Right, well I just got the router, so hopefully It'll work. The guy at BestBuy didn't seem to think there's be a problem, but that probably wasn't the most professional opinion. Well, after dinner I'll plug in.
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

It'l work fine.

Make sure to enable wpa security.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question / Verifying my Security | need driver for nokia 6610 data cable »