New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can I connect an ethernet to a computer, to connect it to it's netowork?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hunter2271

hunter2271 is on a distinguished road

Can i connect an ethernet through a computer, to connect it to a network...?

Ok so I want to get an xbox, heres my setup.
I have 1 computer in one room with thats connected to an airport extreme wireless network through an ethernet cable. This room I CANNOT play xbox in.
This airport extreme gives a wireless network throughout my whole house (which I could use wireless adapter for, but thats another $100). There is a computer #2 upstairs with no modem or router, but it gets internet connection via the wireless network.

If I want to put the xbox right next to that computer #2, could i somehow avoid having to use a wireless adapter? Could I connect ethernet from the xbox to the computer #2 directly (no modem or router) to attach to the network? The computer has an open ethernet port in the back. (So basically, can this ethernet port in the computer (iMac G5) act as a router from an xbox to connect the wireless network?)

Sorry if this doesnt make any sense.
Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
Camelot@mac.com

Camelot@mac.com is on a distinguished road

You can, but it may not work for a lot of things.

You'd need to enable internet sharing on the computer (so the computer shares its wireless link with clients on the ethernet network).
However, this will require the use of NAT on this machine. That's in addition to the NAT that you're likely doing at the network edge (e.g. in your AirPort Base Station or router, depending on your setup).

Many things, especially two-way protocols like those used by XBox Live, won't work with this double-NAT setup.

You're welcome to try it, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. You may even find that parts do work (e.g. downloading updates/patches, etc.) but online play doesn't.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Spend the $100 for the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
You'll save a lot of time and spare yourself some headaches.

Usually only people that are quite familiar with networking will get this type of PC/NAT sharing to work.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Even if you do get it working it's always a bit flaky.

You might want to consider ethernet-over-power adaptors or maybe an airport express - same price as the xbox adaptor but far more versatile.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem trying to transfer files from MAC to PC via LAN cable | Positively cannot get wireless password to work, ARGH! »