New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

multimedia streamer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yellow406

yellow406 is on a distinguished road

i have just bought a imac i want to buy a multimedia streamer to stream films pictures and photos to my tv i had a apple tv and its a load of rubbish i cant find anythin at all can anyone help ?
QUOTE Thanks
aeiou

aeiou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram

One option is a PS3 or Xbox360. They will stream stuff over the network. You need software on the mac to work with them. I use Medialink for the PS3 that works pretty good. I've never done it with the xbox, but I think the program is called connect360.

These give the bennefit of doubling as a gaming machine, too
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

shfle will become famous soon enough

Agree with the above.

Having owned both systems and used both Medialink and Connect360, I would strongly recommend the PS3 out of the two. Medialink works rather well for streaming movies,photos and music from the Mac and the PS3 reads a fair amount of formats.

The xbox360, apart from having an alarming failure rate and dreadful build quality, does not have wireless built in (Unless it is something they have introduced very recently), so you would either have to buy the wireless add-on for about 60 or run a network cable from it. It would also read far fewer formats than the PS3 (Again this may have changed in the past year or so) so Connect360 was nigh on useless for me at the time.
QUOTE Thanks
yellow406

yellow406 is on a distinguished road

thank you can i download the software for the xbox ? having a windows computer am struggling abit with the imac there arn't many accessories out for doin the wireless streaming
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

shfle will become famous soon enough

Nullriver Software : Products : Connect360
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help getting cameras to email via SMTP | connect 360 program »