New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

mac to pc networking problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

segull

hey everyone, ive just recently started using a mac and im trying to network my mac with my dell... my dell is able to connect to my mac and see the users contents but i cant get the mac to see dells files.. ive gone to the connect to server in the finder, entered the ip adress of the dell and the sharename but it always says cant connect to server coz of wrong password or user name..
PLEASE HELP!! heheh
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Are you using Xp on the Dell? I'm assuming you've set up sharing on the PC, a folder, a drive, something. Do you not see the Dell's computer name when in Finder? Are you getting the invalid username/password when you try to mount the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
segull

yeah im using xp, and ive set everything up just like all these websites have told me.. but i still get invalid username/password when i try mount it.. hehe, its irritating..
anywasy thanks for ur help
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

I get the same problem.
i have a dell xp home networked with my ibook and my pc can see my ibooks files but my ibook can't see my pc's files.
The itunes sharing works perfect with both.
QUOTE Thanks
crisrose

i have the same problem, but i can't see my ibook from my PC.

I can see my PC from my iBook, but i always get wrong password/username when i try and log in.

Not handy at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Sticky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4

make sure u have set the folders on the pc to be shared,
make sure the pc is on,
then go finder, network, your network should be on there, and then the shared folders....
QUOTE Thanks
segull

hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that after a days trouble and A LOT of help from this site http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/ma...lesharing.html, i got my network to work.. then, because i had made my pc so vulnerable to the internet, i got 36 viruses that norton was unable to repair.. so i had to format my pc! hahaha!!
QUOTE Thanks
myjay610

Make sure you are using the right protocol when you are entering the IP address into the connect field; windows use samba, so your connect field should be "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" or, if you know the computer name from looking in mycomputer you can just do: smb://<computername>.

If you are using simple filesharing, there shouldn't be a usename/pw to connect to your dell; setting up the un/pw is a bit more complicated on windows.

John
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

i'm having the same problem. my iBook can't access my PC's even though it sees them.
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

I figured it out go to "go" then "connect to server" then do smb://YourPc's ip address here. If your using a router use its network ip and if ur not using a router use whatever ip it gives you the one problem is if your using a firewall on the pc u hav to configure it to allow a connection from your ibook I had norton so I did this by going into configure firewall and telling it to trust my ip address for my ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
dodgerfan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninc
I figured it out go to "go" then "connect to server" then do smb://YourPc's ip address here. If your using a router use its network ip and if ur not using a router use whatever ip it gives you the one problem is if your using a firewall on the pc u hav to configure it to allow a connection from your ibook I had norton so I did this by going into configure firewall and telling it to trust my ip address for my ibook.
anything specific to configure? port, protocol? or just check file/printer sharing? Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

i still can't access my pc's files guys. need help here.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Hi JRV, You could try this website for more information, I hope this helps:

http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/ma...lesharing.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Audio Output w/ Airport Express | I need some airport help please »