New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Power on/off cable modem too often for internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gopam

gopam is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the forum and have been having internet wireless difficulty.

Specs:

imac
2Ghz PowerPC G5
1.5GB
OS 10.4.11

Airport extreme -(the old oval alien spaceship shaped one)

1.Cable company modem - Ethernet cable from modem to imac = works fine. So direct patching works.

2. Cable from modem to Airport, then ethernet cable from airport to imac = works for awhile, but later in evening or next day (computer sleeping) I have to unplug the cable modem off/on for it to work again. Also when other computers in the house are on, they see the airport, that it is online, full bars, but for the internet connection to work, the cable modem must be powered on & off.

Question, do I need to purchase a new airport extreme? Why must I keep turning the modem on/off for my wireless connections to work?

When the imac is directly patched to the modem and if the computer sleeps, there is no need to turn modem on/off. The internet connection remains.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Camelot@mac.com

Camelot@mac.com is on a distinguished road

I'll go out on a limb here and guess your AirPort is misconfigured for your network.

In order for the AirPort to share the cable connection it has to be setup as a NAT device (done by selecting the 'Share a public IP address' in the Internet settings).
In this way it is the only device that the cable modem talks to.

Without this (if you have it set to Bridge mode) it lets each internal computer talk directly to the cable modem, but cable modems are dumb and will only talk to one device at at time - therefore if the first machine it saw was the iMac, then the iMac is the only machine it will talk to until it's power cycled (then the lock is released and another machine can talk).

Setting the base station to share the address resolves this issue.
QUOTE Thanks
gopam

gopam is on a distinguished road

camelot thanks for trying to help. I tried to follow your advice but I need it broken down, dummy style, step by step - click here, click there, select "this" etc.

I don't see an "internet setting" on my computer. Did you mean the airport admin?

Was this what you meant?

I went to my airport admin utility - select base station - configure

clicked network tab - it had the following checked:

√ Distribute IP addresses
• Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)

I believe that is what you meant and it was already selected like that. I don't see "bridge mode". I see this --> which is not selected: "share a range of IP addresses using only DHCP"??

I'm still having the same issue which is frustrating. When we want to use multiple computers, we have to turn the cable modem on/off and wait for it to connect again. Otherwise we give up and just hard wire connect the one imac.

thanks for trying to help me. any other ideas? or am I doing something wrong.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Having and N network alongside a G network. | Better signal strength? »