New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brewcityjay

I just bought a Linksys router to split my cable connection between my mac and my son's PC, but it is very slow. Is there any settings or adjustments that I can make to speed things up? At this rate, I cant see how anyone could get by using a router.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

which computer is the main computer, and hat are the specs of each? there should be settings where you went to set the router up that are for setting range and speed.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Are the computers set up via ethernet or wireless? If they are connected via ethernet and you have a router with multiple ports, then there wouldn't be a main computer.

There could be a difference if one user is accessing the net heavily (ie. downloading files) I get the same throughput if I'm connected to the router (D-Link) or directly to the modem.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

If the original poster could post his specs and hardware being used, I'm sure we could figure it out for him/her. I have a router running a ton of things and don't see any slow down when one of them is accessing the net heavily.

I have 1 PC & 1 Linux box ethernet wired, 2 PCs wireless, 1 iMac wireless, 1 PowerBook wireless, 1 B&W iMac (266 Mhz) wired, Xbox wireless, (2) PS2's wireless, a PocketPC I use wireless and a Tivo that connects wirelessly. All this goes through my Linksys WRT54GS router w/ Cable Modem hookup. I do have an Airport Extreme Base Station downstairs that simply acts as a repeater so the signal strength in the whole house is strong.

Like I said, post your specs, hardware and current configuration and we'll help you solve it.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
brewcityjay

The specs for my machines are: power Mac G4 dual 1.25-1g Ram( this the computer that I have the router hooked up through via ethernet. the other is a 833 mhz pentium 3 dell with 512mb of Ram. the Pc has a PC100 card.
QUOTE Thanks
brewcityjay

Well I figured out the problem...it was a bad cable cord that was responsible for the slow connection. After i swaped it out with a new one, I was back to business as usual. Thanks for all the replies, this forum is GREAT!!! :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
I have a router running a ton of things and don't see any slow down when one of them is accessing the net heavily.

You evidentially aren't running a cable connection, or you never download anything of any size.

I'm using insight cable. When my wired (ethernet) system is downloading a file, it degrades (very noticeable) the performance on my wireless connection.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connect Two PBs by Airport | Problems with SMB and Windows 2000 Server »