New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

home network problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

daktafari

I’ve recently had ethernet wire installed for a network. I have a Power Mac G3 233 and an iMac connected via a Linksys router. I followed the directions as outlined in a Macworld article Dec 2000 that Linksys has a link to on its website (including the TCP/IP information). I upgraded the ethernet extention on my Powermac to 2.0.4 (from 2.0.1). I am on a cable modem from Comcast. My problem is the severely marked degradation in speed (slower than a dial up connection) noted when the system is active as compared to when the cable modem is directly connected to my powermac . On the Linksys router, the “full/col” and “100” LEDs do not light up on the powermac port but do on the iMac port when either or both computers are on line. I have replaced the router but the same problem occurs. I was expecting to lose a “little” speed but this is rediculous. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I have similar setup. I have a G3 PowerMac 233Mhz , G3 iBook 500 Mhz and a G4 Powerbook 500Mhz connected to a linksys router. The cable modem is connect through the WAN port. I use ports 1-3 for my devices.

What version of the Mac OS are you running On each of the Macs? Can you connect through the cable modem with no problems?
QUOTE Thanks
daktafari

The Powermac is 8.1 and the iMac is 8.6. Both work great when individually connected to the cable modem without the router.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Are you running DHCP on the router and do you have DHCP turned on each Mac Or are you assigning Ip addresses?
QUOTE Thanks
daktafari

DHCP is turned on for each Mac but I'm not sure re: DHCP on the router. The IP address is supposed to be dynamic (per Comcast) but when I check the TCP/IP screen, it is always the same. Where do I check to see if the router has DHCP turned on?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

On one of you Mac, set your web browser to the router ip address and log in.

Basically this is what should be going on: Comcast your ISP is servering you an IP address, which your router can see. The router is your DHCP server. Which in turn supplies IP addresses for you PowerMac and iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
daktafari

"On one of you Mac, set your web browser to the router ip address and log in."
Yes, I did that.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

After logging onto your router, click the DHCP tab. DHCP should be enabled. On the setup tab, your configuration should be similar to the following: WAN connection type is Obtain IP automatically; netmask is 255.255.255.0.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

you might be using cables that aren't rated for 100mb speed. make sure you are using all cat5 cables
QUOTE Thanks
daktafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
After logging onto your router, click the DHCP tab. DHCP should be enabled. On the setup tab, your configuration should be similar to the following: WAN connection type is Obtain IP automatically; netmask is 255.255.255.0.
I'll check that out tonite when I get home (I'm on my work computer now). Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
daktafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
you might be using cables that aren't rated for 100mb speed. make sure you are using all cat5 cables
Yes, all are cat5 cables.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Quote:
I was going to get to the cables. Since it is on the table all of the cable should be straight through, except for the one connecting the cable modem to the router which is a cross connect.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

it was great i took my power book which has gigabit ethernet to my dads office which has a gigabit network. they only use cat4 cables because they dont feel like opening the walls to upgrade so i plugged into the hub in the IT department with my cat6 and damnnnnn that was fast it was great
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Quote:
it was great i took my power book which has gigabit ethernet to my dads office which has a gigabit network. they only use cat4 cables because they dont feel like opening the walls to upgrade so i plugged into the hub in the IT department with my cat6 and damnnnnn that was fast it was great
I wish I had that must bandwidth. I just can not pay the price. So I have to deal with the 10/100 that I have, which is down to 10 Mbits due to the ISP.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

my dad is the managing partner in charge of the funds for the IT dept so he gives them a tonna money to get all the stuff they want so they have an amazing setup in the main office and since none of the associates complain about internet speed they havent had to upgrade the wiring
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« network? | airport distance and PC compatabilty »