New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Network printing with Linksys WPSM54G

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Orthodoc

Orthodoc is on a distinguished road

I am new to Macs and am trying to use my old print server. I have followed the directions as below

On Mac OS, open System Preferences and select ‘Print & Fax’. Click on the "+" icon (lower left) to add a printer. Click on the IP Printer icon (top). Select "Line Printer Daemon – LPD" and do the following:
In the Address field, enter the IP address of the Print Server.
In the Queue field, enter L1.
In the Name field, enter L1.
Select the printer manufacturer from the pull down menu.
Select the printer model from the scroll box.
Click "Add".
A window should appear showing your newly added printer "L1". Click L1 once to select it. Then click "Printer Setup" (middle right). The Printer Setup window will open. Click on the "Installable Options" pull- down menu and select "Name & Location". The Name and Location window will open. Do the following:
Change Printer Name to the IP address of Print Server
Change Location to IP_[NameOfPrintServer]P1, i.e. IP_LK32B953P1
Click on Apply Changes.

For step 11 (Location) I have used both IP_[printer server IP address]P1 and IP_WPSM54GP1 without success.

I can ping the print server, but all I get when I try to print is that the server is busy.

Can anyone help?

Yes, I did read the FAQ just above, but no answers there either
QUOTE Thanks
bsthornton4

bsthornton4 is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem!! Did you solve this issue?
QUOTE Thanks
cosmo69

cosmo69 is on a distinguished road

I think that I've found if not final et leat partial solution to this problem.

I have Leopard 10.5 and was trying to print on HP DeskJet 920c connected to WPSM54G. Tips I've found on internet suggested setting up the printer using LPD or IPP protocols but the only thing I was able to achieve was 1 (literally "one") guess first print job to be printed.Than the printer wouldn't print anything else. Luckily I was able to find solution which works for my HP 920c - guess other HP and maybe other printers too.

After choosing "System Preferences" than "Print & Fax" and "+"mark to add the printer in newly opened printer setup window choose "More Printers" icon at the top than choose "HP IP Printing" - as a matter of fact that was the only option I could choose in my Mac. Than click "Manual" and input your WPSM54G IP address and click "Connect" button. Below IP number you have entered you will see info about your printer that is it's name, kind and address. Click "Add" and you are done. So my conclusion is that if you have HP printer you have the problem solved. Hope this will help someone.
QUOTE Thanks
Brett63

Brett63 is on a distinguished road

I have searched every forum I could find and they all basically have the same methods but the info is at least 1 year old. I can not find any updated info on how to talk to this wireless printserver with Snow Leopard.
I have a Canon Pixma iP1800 printer that works fine wirelessly with my XP laptop and also works if connected to my iMac via USB.

I have been totally unsuccessful in getting the Linksys WPSM54G to work with the mac. I'm at the point of buying a new wireless printer and doing an Office Space smackdown on the print server. Anyone out there able to get this thing to work with OS X 10.6.3?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Orange ZTE MF636 Dongle won't install on Macbook Pro | Network set up with Time Capsule, AirPort Express and iPhone »