New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Access Time Capsule Outside LAN

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benny2168

benny2168 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I've been searching all over for this with no luck...

So I have a 500gb Time Capsule connected at the apartment, and I've been trying to access its hard drive from my MBP when I go to campus, outside the apartment LAN.

Someone told me that to find my TC from outside I would need to get the apartment ISP to set up a "port forward" on their apartment complex router so my TC could be seen... I asked the ISP to do that, and they said:

"We do not block any ports and cannot allow port forwarding for specific users. We can, however, issue you a public IP which should free you of the NAT and allow you to route to wherever you wish."

So they did that, and now under AirPort utility, the TC has a different IP address. However, AirPort utility gives two: An IP address and a Router address. Both addresses are similar except for the last two digits.

[I also had to change some settings on the TC because the internet wasn't working when they changed the IP, so now I have it working under "Bridge Mode." The setting "Share disks over ethernet WAN port" is now gone so I don't know if that is causing this problem...]

Anyways, while I'm within the LAN, and I use the "Connect to server..." option
and use afp://72.42..... (the "IP address" from AirPort Utility, "Router Adress" doesn't work) then I can find the TC. However, outside the LAN this method doesn't work.

Any ideas what I should do?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network PC to MAC wia Ethernet cable | Wireless Music Playing Help »