Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2008
    Posts
    19
    new imac and wireless
    this is probably a really dumb question but i could do with a straight forward answer. is my new alluminium imac a wireless router. after all once it is connected to a broadband modem via a ethernet cable it should be as it has built in wireless capability. but all i read on the net is that people still connect via a wireless router why? what i want to do is connect my wii in the easiest poss way. how is this done ? help

  2. #2

    Santino's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2008
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    224
    Think what you need is to check "Internet Sharing" unndar System Preferences/Sharing.

    But don't know if that is the correct way to do it, i'd wait until someone that actually knows shows up
    Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
    PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
    2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
    Canon 30D, recently inherited!

  3. #3

    podraig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 19, 2008
    Posts
    380
    Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
    your modem needs have wireless capability too, if it does, no problem, if it doesnt, then you cannot connect wirelessly
    Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving

  4. #4

    Jaygray's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2008
    Posts
    1,115
    Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    A PC having "wireless capability" means that it has the ability to communitcate with a wireless router 'wirelessly'.

    You will need a wireless router. The router is a gateway that allows 'wireless capable' computers to connect to the modem. It also usually has ethernet ports on it so that non-wireless devices can be connected to the network as well.

    You can not connect a modem directly to a wireless PC and then use it's wireless features to broadcast the modem's signal to other PCs.

    There are a few modems out there with wireless routers built into them, but this is not the norm.

  5. #5

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,947
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
    A PC having "wireless capability" means that it has the ability to communitcate with a wireless router 'wirelessly'.

    You will need a wireless router. The router is a gateway that allows 'wireless capable' computers to connect to the modem. It also usually has ethernet ports on it so that non-wireless devices can be connected to the network as well.

    You can not connect a modem directly to a wireless PC and then use it's wireless features to broadcast the modem's signal to other PCs.

    There are a few modems out there with wireless routers built into them, but this is not the norm.
    ...and just to expand upon this further. It is possible to use a PC or Mac as an ad-hoc wireless access point (which is probably what the others were referring to), but this is far more difficult to setup and maintain than a traditional wireless router.

    You can pick up a wireless router for about $50-$100, depending on what model and features you choose. I highly recommend the D-Link DIR-655, which should be available for about $100 at any electronics store.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    ...and just to expand upon this further. It is possible to use a PC or Mac as an ad-hoc wireless access point (which is probably what the others were referring to), but this is far more difficult to setup and maintain than a traditional wireless router.

    You can pick up a wireless router for about $50-$100, depending on what model and features you choose. I highly recommend the D-Link DIR-655, which should be available for about $100 at any electronics store.
    i have succeeded and connected my wii using the imac as the router, the firewall was causing the problems because it was set up to block everythink except safari. problem is i want my firewall on, how do i make an exception for the wii.

  7. #7

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,947
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by harryson0605 View Post
    i have succeeded and connected my wii using the imac as the router, the firewall was causing the problems because it was set up to block everythink except safari. problem is i want my firewall on, how do i make an exception for the wii.
    Trust me on this, you want to get a wireless router. It's not going to be worth the trouble and reliability issues you're going to experience. In order for the Wii to get out, you're likely going to have to allow all incoming services, which would be a very bad thing.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Trust me on this, you want to get a wireless router. It's not going to be worth the trouble and reliability issues you're going to experience. In order for the Wii to get out, you're likely going to have to allow all incoming services, which would be a very bad thing.
    are you 100percent because the set up i have works, there must be a way for the firewall to allow the wii through.

  9. #9

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,947
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by harryson0605 View Post
    are you 100percent because the set up i have works, there must be a way for the firewall to allow the wii through.
    Just because it works doesn't mean its safe. You'll need to open up the firewall on your Mac, which means that your Mac will be on the public Internet and accessible to anyone with a port scanner. This is very bad news.

    With a router, it's basically set-it-and-forget-it, plus you get the added benefit of being behind a NAT firewall and you can connect as many machines as you want. If something doesn't work right, just reset the router and you're back in business within seconds. It won't be so easy with your Mac acting as a WAP.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iMac G4 wireless
    By n2soccer31 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
  2. Imac G4 Wireless
    By Mongamer in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 06:11 PM
  3. Wireless G ,does my iMac need anything?
    By Beemer in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
  4. Can i get wireless for my iMac G4
    By poobah in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 02:11 AM
  5. wireless imac
    By Soap in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •