New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless Network and Macbook Pro Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mmorrismjm

mmorrismjm is on a distinguished road

I've trawled through a number of posts on different sites and despite seeing many similar problems, I find nothing that specifically matches mine.

I have an editing suite in my classroom. The suite houses 3 imac G5s and 8 brand new Mac Minis. I also have my Macbook Pro, purchased at the same time as the minis.

All of the imacs and minis connect perfectly to the school network wirelessly. My Macbook Pro however, cannot connect to the school network wirelessly. Here lies the problem.

Using the same password and setup method, the Macbook Pro throws back the 'invalid password' response every time I try to connect. If I create the network within the 'advanced' section of the network settings, the macbook searches for the network and the airport icon changes from yellow to green but says 'Self-assigned IP'. A few seconds later, the icon changes back to yellow and I still have no access.

Clearly the password is correct and the network is fine - I can connect to the network via ethernet with no problems. Also connecting from all of the other machines I have causes no problems. It is just using airport to connect wirelessly that has an issue.

Any chance anybody has the answer to this one?
QUOTE Thanks
Dashman

Dashman is on a distinguished road

Not sure if it will help, but have you made sure that all your airport settings match the ethernet settings? TCP/IP. DNS etc?
QUOTE Thanks
mmorrismjm

All settings are the same.

It was suggested to me that the problem was related to the airport cards themselves and that the macbook and mini use different cards and that is where the difference lies.

Not sure why this would stop me from simply connecting though.
QUOTE Thanks
Dashman

Dashman is on a distinguished road

Hey ... ok ... well, just FYI, I have a Mini and Macbook Pro running side by side over wireless here, both Intel ...

D
QUOTE Thanks
mmorrismjm

erm...thanks?

I know it should be possible and I have no problem with connecting to the wireless network at home, just not to the school one. Even though everything else connects to it perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

I would check the setup of the wireless base stations. It sounds like they are set up to provide IP addresses for each machine (DHCP) but this can work in a number ways.

1) The pool of addresses might be too small to allow you to connect, and is set just to cover the editing room equipment.

2) The Editing room kit might be using static IP Addressing, meaning that no matter how much you ask it it will no provide you an IP Address.

3) It could employ MAC address filtering so that only authorised kit can have access.

Fortunately the check for all of these is quite simple, can anyone bring in some none school kit and attach it to the wireless? If the answer is no then the issue lies with the setup of the wireless network, if they can then it is something to do with how your MPB interacts with that network. either way you have learnt something.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth: Not Avaiable | Connecting to a WPA Wireless network automatically on startup »