New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Problems connecting two macs to same router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

reaper15

reaper15 is on a distinguished road

I have a cable modem connected to a hub. for two years, my g5 imac has been connected to the hub as well as my roomates pc. neither of us have ever had any problems. recently, i've tried connecting a powerbook through the same hub. when i open safari there is no connection so i go through the network diagnostics (end up restarting the modem and hub) and the internet begins to work, however, i lose connection on my imac. i go through network diagnostics on my imac, get internet connection, and lose it on the powerbook. any ideas whats going on?

a little extra info:

-my roomates been out of town so i dont know how his connection has been affected

-i called cox (my isp) and they assured me it was nothing to do with them.

-I've tried two different hubs and had the exact same results

-!!!often the powerbook will show green lights for "built in ethernet" "network settings" and "isp" , but red lights for "internet" and "server"

any ideas/advice would be much appreciated

-edit: originally i referred to my hub as a router, sorry for the stupid mistake and any confusion it may have caused
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

are you using static or dymanic ip addresses from the router?

if the router is set up for dynamic, check your macs and make sure they are setup for dynamic also.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You sure it's a router and not a hub?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
You sure it's a router and not a hub?
That is what I was going to ask also. If it really is a router do you have the router set for DHCP?
QUOTE Thanks
reaper15

i'm sorry, all of you are right, it is just a hub. what difference does this make?

also, thanks for all the replies already
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Each computer has to have a separate IP address. A Hub or even a Switch networks computers together but does not work like a router with a DHCP server and hand out IP address's for each computer.

What Cable Modem do you have? Just checking to see if it might have a built in router like some DSL modems do.
QUOTE Thanks
reaper15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Each computer has to have a separate IP address. A Hub or even a Switch networks computers together but does not work like a router with a DHCP server and hand out IP address's for each computer.

What Cable Modem do you have? Just checking to see if it might have a built in router like some DSL modems do.
how would i solve the ip problem?

the modem i have is this one:

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp...7-90e4e321738a

ambit speedstream U10C018

it's the one cox gave me when i started with them
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Its not working | Need help with DMZ and NAT - issue with PS3 »