New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Hello from the UK

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peter3mad

peter3mad is on a distinguished road

I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can help. I have an Intel Imac and an Airport Extreme Base Station. The Airport is WPA2 secured and is connected to the Imac by a cable (I believe it is called an RJ45?). In Network preferences I am shown as being connected to my network via Airport. (Do not know if it is relevant but if I click the padlock to prevent changes the name of my network remains but is greyed out although I am still connected to the net).
All is working well EXCEPT that after I shut down or go into sleep mode, when I access the Imac again and try to get on the net or to access mail, I cannot do so without going back into Network preferences, since the Imac seems unable to see my network Then I find the Imac is seeking to get onto the web via Ethernet which of course it cannot do. I have to go into diagnosis mode and change settings to connect via Airport after which I again have no trouble. This is very frustrating and I expect there is a simple fix, but I cannot find out what it is.
FWIW i have a DSL modem and no difficulty connecting direct with Ethernet cable, bypassing the Extreme. When using Airport, the green Airport light is on all the time and does not change, notwithstanding the above behaviour. Have had no luck with posting in UK help forum and wonder whether anyone on this Forum can help? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If you right-click the Airport icon on the menu bar and switch of your airport.

Connect your modem to the DSL/WAN port of your airport extreme. Then Connect your imac with an ethernet (RJ45) cable from the ethernet port on your imac to one of the other ports on the Airport Extreme (doesn't matter which of the 3 you use).

Can you use the internet on your imac now?

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

mrplow

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Welcome to the forum! There's quite a few Brits here.
QUOTE Thanks
idsamdg

idsamdg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2

Indeed! Welcome fellow UK citizen!

-IDSAMDG

iMessage me: bryanwagneradair@me.com
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Welcome - Mrplow's instruction should work for you. Seems like although you connected an Ethernet cable, your computer was actually talking to the Base Station via wireless (airport).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best way to get online? | Hello.. and HELP with horrible network problem 10.5.4 intel imac »