New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme very hot. Normal ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

After about 20 minutes of use, the box gets almost burning hot. This worries me as I've never had a router get this hot before. I'm running a fan on it now to cool it down while it's running, but I'm still concerned. Should I be ?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
liberty

liberty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" White Macbook 2.0Ghz

Mine gets quite warm but not that hot I can't touch it.. Take it back for a replacement if you think it is too hot..
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

same here gets very warm but not to hot to touch
QUOTE Thanks
ernie2249

ernie2249 is on a distinguished road

My airport extreme is on 24/7, but never gets too hot to touch.
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Doug, how long have you had it?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

again warm, but not hot to touch.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

Its probably normal, apple stuff gets hot haha.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I've had it for a couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, I can palm it and it's not like I'm pulling a seared hand away or anything. But it's a lot more than warm. Right now, it's warm and I haven't been doing very much. I'm on my Ubuntu box and only using the ethernet port vs. wi-fi. But I suspect the difference may be when using wifi for the MBP, where it gets extremely hot. Again, not hot to the point where I'd go screaming like a b***h and cry in a corner, but hot enough to make you say "****, that's HOT !"

doug
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

Yes, My time capsule does the same thing. Its extremely hot when just in Airport Extreme Mode, then when the hard drive turns on, its even worse. Its normal.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

I just setup my Time Capsule, and somewhere in the manual it mentions that the case is designed to help dissipate the heat, so it will be rather warm to the touch.
QUOTE Thanks
rlh1975

rlh1975 is on a distinguished road

My Airport extreme is very hot as well. I have another wifi router that has been running 24/7 for years and stays very cool to the touch. Being concerned about the airport temp, I checked Apple's website. They have some instruction on the proper Feng shui placement of an Airport device. It seems though, that they forgot to mention that it needs to be inside your freezer.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I have an original AE with Wireless N and it has run hot for quite awhile. Nothing requiring a trip to the ER - more like how a Aluminum MacBook Pro circa 2007 gets hot. I wouldn't want it sitting my my bare skin for hours, but it would probably make a nice heating pad for my bad back. So far it hasn't caused an issue, but every so often I wonder if it suppose to be quite that hot.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

i have the next to current gen AEBS which runs warm but not hot on 24/7 for a year now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule, External HDD, One iTunes LIbrary, Two Macs and Sync Issues | emac not reading airport card »