Thread: airport express configuration
07-14-2008, 01:51 PM #1
airport express configuration
- Member Since
- Jul 14, 2008
Please see the attached configuration file. Here's my problem
Neither the Macbook nor the PC can see Airport Express (AE) unit #1 unless it is plugged into the DLINK router via an Ethernet cable. I called Apple support and was told that I definitely could not use AE unless it was hardwired into the router because it is configured to add to an existing wireless network rather than configured to be a new wireless network (a new wireless network may not be an option given the PC and DLINK in the picture).
When I tried to add AE#2, the Airport Config utility made me choose between #1 and #2, it would not allow me to add AE#2 as an additional wireless unit. When I did that, I lost all ability to communicate with either AE unit.
I had to take AE#2 out (unplug it) and then connect to AE#1 with an Etherned cable (to the Macbook) and reconfigure it for "add to existing wireless network".
I am back to where I started
- AE#1 connected to the DLINK via an Ethernet cable
- a PC connected to DLINK via Ethernet (it is not wireless enabled)
- a Mac talking to the DLINK wirelessly, not AE#1 (at least I <think> that is what I have)
- a printer and my stereo #1 connected to AE#1
- both the PC and Macbook can use the printer and stream to stereo #1 (where I was before trying to add AE#2)
- AE#2 is invisible to the Macbook (I think that I will have to reset it or connect it to the Macbook to set it up like AE#1 but I have no idea what will happen)
Here's what I want to do. Keep AE#1 as it is but add AE#2 to control my upstairs stereo. However, there is no Ethernet upstairs and I am unwilling to run a cable up there simply to access a >> wireless <<< device.
What am I missing here when it comes to AE? I purchased both units about 2 months ago and have the latest firmware upgrades.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By djstephe in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 4Last Post: 04-13-2014, 02:18 AM
By macsy in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 1Last Post: 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM
By monicahej in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 0Last Post: 05-29-2012, 01:13 PM
By mrblendz in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 2Last Post: 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM
By mackas in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 4Last Post: 11-14-2006, 02:55 PM