Need help setting up printer
    Hello everyone. I'm a first time mac user so please bare with me if I ask anything stupid. I've kind of familiarized myself with the operating system. I have a Powermac G4 running Leopard (10.5.4). What I want to do is to be able to print from my mac. My current setup is this: I have the printer (Epson r320) connected to a printer server (connected to a Linksys wireless router) which is assigned a static IP address (192.168.1.25). When i run the printer setup in Leopard, I click on the IP tab to set it up that way since I know the IP address but when I go to print, it doesn't do anything. I need help to figure out what I'm doing wrong. My mac has a built in wireless card and has no problems connecting to the internet. I'm not looking to connect or share files with the other computers on the network.

If more info is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    Wy

Specs:
    Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
    First off, does Leopard support your printer? The easiest way to find out is to plug it in directly to the G4. It should see it right away. You need to determine the IP address of your printer. Then put that in instead of your router's IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
    First off, does Leopard support your printer? The easiest way to find out is to plug it in directly to the G4. It should see it right away. You need to determine the IP address of your printer. Then put that in instead of your router's IP address.
    Hi John,

Yes it does support it. The address of the printer is 192.168.1.25. The router's IP address is 192..168.1.1 which I haven't used.

Wy

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
    crazysxycool,

Have you installed the printer drivers? Should be on the Printer's CD, your Leopard install disk or in System Preferences/Print & Fax/Options and Supplies/Drivers.

Do you have your firewall set up to allow the printer (printer sharing)? You may need to go to Sharing and set up the printer there also...

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Noels View Post
    crazysxycool,

Have you installed the printer drivers? Should be on the Printer's CD, your Leopard install disk or in System Preferences/Print & Fax/Options and Supplies/Drivers.

Do you have your firewall set up to allow the printer (printer sharing)? You may need to go to Sharing and set up the printer there also...

Noel
    Hi Noel,

Per the Epson website, the drivers are already included on the Leopard disc so I assumed when the operating system was installed that it also installed the printer drivers. How do I check to see if they are installed? There was a screen where I could choose the driver i wanted to use but I didn't see mine listed in there. I have not installed a firewall on the computer yet.

Wy

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by crazysxycool View Post
    Hi Noel,

Per the Epson website, the drivers are already included on the Leopard disc so I assumed when the operating system was installed that it also installed the printer drivers. How do I check to see if they are installed? There was a screen where I could choose the driver i wanted to use but I didn't see mine listed in there. I have not installed a firewall on the computer yet.

Wy
    Wy,

Go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and your printer should appear there. Select it. Then go to Options & Supplies and in there click on the tab Drivers. It should list your driver. If it doesn't, it's not installed. If not installed, click on that scroll bar and select the driver from it...

The Macs already have a firewall. Go to System Preferences/Security, and click on the firewall tab. There it is...

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Noels View Post
    Wy,

Go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and your printer should appear there. Select it. Then go to Options & Supplies and in there click on the tab Drivers. It should list your driver. If it doesn't, it's not installed. If not installed, click on that scroll bar and select the driver from it...

The Macs already have a firewall. Go to System Preferences/Security, and click on the firewall tab. There it is...

Noel
    Noel,

All is good now. The driver wasn't showing up so I ran the software update and installed it that way. Thanks for your help.

Wy

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by crazysxycool View Post
    Noel,

All is good now. The driver wasn't showing up so I ran the software update and installed it that way. Thanks for your help.

Wy
    Wy,

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Noel

Thread Information