New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook Pro - Macbook pro taking a long time to connect to wifi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maxsugerman

maxsugerman is on a distinguished road

I have had my macbook pro for over 6 months and I've always had a problem where it takes at least 10 minutes to register wifi. At first, I didnt think there was a problem, but after using someone else's macbook, I realized my computer took much much longer to connect. Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of wireless router are you using? How far away and how strong is the signal to your MBP? Does your wireless signal have to penetrate walls in the house? Are you using encryption?

As you can see there are many variables involved with wireless. In any event it should not take 10 minutes to connect.

As a test, try to move your MBP as close as possible to the router and turn off any encryption for the time being. Make sure all the menu settings in the router are correct. DNS? IP address being generated? Protocol? and so forth. If necessary, call your ISP tech support and confirm the settings. Open up your Airport settings and make sure they match.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBPro+HPC4380+Livebox=no wireless printing... | Wireless Audio System - any good? »