New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

slow tranfers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Russwlw2004

Russwlw2004 is on a distinguished road

i set up a small network/ something to just access drives on my windows pc, xp, sp3.
running os x 10.5.3. When moving files from my mac to my pc, i get super slow speeds, about a MB/s check all my router settings and such. messed with them, with no luck. any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

is this a wireless transfer speed?

if so it is most likely your router. i had this same issue and i transfer a lot of files in my home and a lot of 4.7GB size. i solved it by getting a gigabit router.

if your router is a regular G router than it can only transfer at 54Mb/sec and that is rarely reached because it requires a perfect environment which you are never going to get in the real world. it is normally about half that speed.

if it is an enhanced G then it is possible that it could be rated at 125Mb/sec but again it will most likely run at around half that.

if you had a gigabit router it would be up to 300Mb/sec and again that is not real world.

i think you can see the difference here.

i found that even when i was transferring files to 2 hard wired machines i was not getting the speed i thought i would get until i upgraded to a gigabit router.

google around and check my info and you will find that it is your router that is slowing down your transfers.

also keep in mind that a Mb and a MB are 2 different things. Mb (with a lowercase ‘B’) is short hand for MegaBit. A MB (with an uppercase ‘B’) is short hand for MegaByte. 1 Byte is the same as 8 bits meaning that 1MB is 8Mb. you will find that most devices and internet providers always use the Mb to make their speeds seem faster because the number is bigger
QUOTE Thanks
Russwlw2004

Russwlw2004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
is this a wireless transfer speed?

if so it is most likely your router. i had this same issue and i transfer a lot of files in my home and a lot of 4.7GB size. i solved it by getting a gigabit router.

if your router is a regular G router than it can only transfer at 54Mb/sec and that is rarely reached because it requires a perfect environment which you are never going to get in the real world. it is normally about half that speed.

if it is an enhanced G then it is possible that it could be rated at 125Mb/sec but again it will most likely run at around half that.

if you had a gigabit router it would be up to 300Mb/sec and again that is not real world.

i think you can see the difference here.

i found that even when i was transferring files to 2 hard wired machines i was not getting the speed i thought i would get until i upgraded to a gigabit router.

google around and check my info and you will find that it is your router that is slowing down your transfers.

also keep in mind that a Mb and a MB are 2 different things. Mb (with a lowercase B) is short hand for MegaBit. A MB (with an uppercase B) is short hand for MegaByte. 1 Byte is the same as 8 bits meaning that 1MB is 8Mb. you will find that most devices and internet providers always use the Mb to make their speeds seem faster because the number is bigger
oh believe me i know the MB and mb story lol. guess ill just have to live with what i got.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Wireless can be very slow. B was horrible! G is a lot better, N even better but still not anywhere as fast as a good 100Base-T or 1000BT wired connect. When moving large files over a network Wired is the way to fly!
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

to give you an example of what i am now getting:

i have the gigabit apple extreme and when transferring a file from my macbook to my imac wirelessly i average about 14MB/s. obviously that is much slower than it is capable of but i have some other factors slowing it down. i am running another wireless router for all my B/G wireless stuff at 2.4ghz as well so that i dont have any G stuff joining my N network and bringing it down to G speeds. since i have my extreme set to only N and running at the same frequency as my B/G router i have internet robustness turned on with the extreme and that plays a major role in slowing me down. i do have the 2 routers set as far apart as i could on channels though one is 1 and the other is 11.

i could certainly do a lot of tweaking and get much higher wireless speeds but i have found this to be more than acceptable.

dtravis7 is right though about the hard wired. when i transfer a file from my pc which is hard wired to the imac which is also hard wired through the gigabit router it is amazing. i haven't actually viewed the speeds because it just flies but i may have to test them now to see what its getting.

good luck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dropping internet speeds | Erasing Time Capsule »