New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wireless internet trouble :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gilly2006

gilly2006 is on a distinguished road

hey everyone just thought id join the forum as i received my macbook yesterday! anyway to cut along story short im trying to connect to my wireless router, the mac picks the signal up and then asks for a password, which is my network key, now iv put that in and it says connecting to network and then it comes up with connection timeout. anyone shed any light on this? iv been on the phone to my service provider but in the end they said i should contact mac, anyone had this same problem before?
many thanks!!
mike.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sounds like you're using WEP encryption. Try logging into your router and switch the wireless security setting to use WPA instead (WEP is an obsolete security standard).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
gilly2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Sounds like you're using WEP encryption. Try logging into your router and switch the wireless security setting to use WPA instead (WEP is an obsolete security standard).
i did that with sky, switched between the two and it still didn't work, even disabled it and it still wouldn't let me through! rly weird!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly2006 View Post
i did that with sky, switched between the two and it still didn't work, even disabled it and it still wouldn't let me through! rly weird!
What make and model of router is it, and do you have the latest firmware?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
gilly2006

its a sagem router that was provided by sky, what do you mean by the lastest firm ware?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
its a sagem router that was provided by sky, what do you mean by the lastest firm ware?
Routers are small computers, and like any other computer, they need an operating system and some basic software in order to function. Since routers don't have a hard disk, that software is stored in a chip inside the router and is referred to as "firmware". Most major brands of routers have frequent firmware updates. These updates correct bugs, patch security flaws and sometimes add functionality.

Sagem is not a brand I'm familiar with. My guess is that the device serves as both your router and DSL modem. Is that right?

QUOTE Thanks
gilly2006

Quote:
Sagem is not a brand I'm familiar with. My guess is that the device serves as both your router and DSL modem. Is that right?
yes thats right, at the moment i'm connected to the internet through the ethernet cable and thats running from my router/DSL modem.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
yes thats right, at the moment i'm connected to the internet through the ethernet cable and thats running from my router/DSL modem.
Unfortunately, because it's integrated with your modem, responsibility for it falls squarely on your ISP. Quite frankly, referring you back to Apple support is a cop-out on their part, probably because they lack experience with Macs.

I can give you a few general things to check, but in the end, if you're typing that password correctly and are using a modern form of encryption, it should be working. If it's not, you're probably going to want to look into getting a more mainstream wireless router.

Things to check:

1. Ensure SSID broadcast is enabled.
2. Make sure WPA/Personal is set as the wireless security type (if you can't get into it with security turned off, this won't help).
3. Scan for other wireless networks in your area using a tool like AirPort Radar. If there are others, make sure you set your channel to something other than what the others are using (I typically suggest a lower number like 3 or 5).
4. Do a cold reset on the router (this is typically done by starting with the power cable unplugged, press and hold the reset button on the back and continue holding for 30 seconds after plugging in the power).

QUOTE Thanks
gilly2006

Quote:
Unfortunately, because it's integrated with your modem, responsibility for it falls squarely on your ISP. Quite frankly, referring you back to Apple support is a cop-out on their part, probably because they lack experience with Macs.

I can give you a few general things to check, but in the end, if you're typing that password correctly and are using a modern form of encryption, it should be working. If it's not, you're probably going to want to look into getting a more mainstream wireless router.

Things to check:

1. Ensure SSID broadcast is enabled.
2. Make sure WPA/Personal is set as the wireless security type (if you can't get into it with security turned off, this won't help).
3. Scan for other wireless networks in your area using a tool like AirPort Radar. If there are others, make sure you set your channel to something other than what the others are using (I typically suggest a lower number like 3 or 5).
4. Do a cold reset on the router (this is typically done by starting with the power cable unplugged, press and hold the reset button on the back and continue holding for 30 seconds after plugging in the power).
Thank you very much for your help, il check those things now, if i can't find the probelm and it carrys on, would i have to purchase an airport like this one?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...s&mco=MTA4NDM1
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Thank you very much for your help, il check those things now, if i can't find the probelm and it carrys on, would i have to purchase an airport like this one?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...s&mco=MTA4NDM1
No, you're not locked into Apple products. I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and couldn't be happier - and it's half the price of Apple's Airport Extreme. But anything from one of the major brands (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Buffalo, Belkin) should work just fine.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Advice | Access forbidden when printing to across network »