New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook - MacBook wont connect to Wireless Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cirian75

cirian75 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2.4, 2G ram, 160HD

Ok, my home router is a Linksys WRT54GL-UK.

set up with SSID broadcast and WEP 128 hex key.

both Windows machines have zero problems finding it.

the MacBook however, works initally when set up.

the when you start it say in the morning, it trys, then comes up with password needed, its already got it filled it, you try, and it come with timed out, keep retrying, the same, double check the WEP key, its 100% right, still wont connect.

any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Haw-Ky

Haw-Ky is on a distinguished road

Did you try it with WEP turned off, just to see if will connect and stay connected.

Check out the Linksys Forums.

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/bo...reless_Routers
QUOTE Thanks
cirian75

Works perfect with WEP off

Not nice though the worry of having an open connection anyone else can use.

I can see about 8 routers near me, only half are secured though.

looking at the linksys forums.

problem seems to be

Newer macbooks + Linksys router + WEP = rubbish

says use WPA and problems sorted.

going to have get new cards for the two windows machines as their older 54G cards only support WEP
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

the same problem happened to me when I first got my MacBook, that was because my router died. I bought a new one and it works fine now.

WPA is the better encryption, so keep the WPA

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have 2 of those routers, the USA version though. Every system I have ever tried connects with mine and stays connected.n I have 5 Macs and many PCs and none have connection issues with my WRT54GL's.

If I were you I would try WPA and ditch WEP as it's so easy to crack plus WPA and WPA2 seem to work better on OSX systems according to some.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

With 8 routers near by there's no doubt in my mind you're receiving interference. Change the channel and keep changing it until you can connect without difficulty. WEP as you've been told is easy to crack, however, so long as you don't have sharing turned on the worst that can happen is someone takes a ride on your connection for free.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cirian75

Mate of mine found a quick fix

Put a "$" infront of the WEP key

that forces the mac to read the key as HEX

so far, it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport / General Internet connection issue | Snmp 10.3.9 »