New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

after plugging into wireless router internet doesnt work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mitch90

mitch90 is on a distinguished road

so im trying to plug my ethernet cable from my cable modem to my router and then another ethernet cable into my mac but after i do that the internet doesnt work. pages wont load and adium and other instant messengers wont connect and even when airport is connected to my wireless router it the internet doesnt work so i plugged it back in from my cable modem just directly to my mac for now.

can anyone help me with this problem? im using a netgear 108 mbps wireless firewall router WGT624 v2
QUOTE Thanks
axis3100

axis3100 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 500GB HDD 4GB Ram

I am not sure how much you know about Routers so i am going to remind you that the cable between modem and router must go into the wan port on the router. And usually routers have some sort of web based app that will allow you to set up your internet account so the router knows how to communicate with the modem. If you haven't done this your router will likely not work.

If you have done all this then i am not the right person to ask.

24" 3.06GHz iMac 4 Gb RAM
2.1GHz Macbook
16 GB iPod Touch
6 GB iPod Mini
QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

ive done all that already. it used to work before but i havent been using my router for like 3 weeks now and when i tried it today its not working. my netgear router is very frustrating...its been causing me problems for the past 3 years..lol
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Have you logged into the router and checked to be sure the WAN settings have not changed? If you enter the IP address of the router into a Web Browser, can you log into it?
QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

k i solved the problem. ya i was logged in for a while trying to fix it and i noticed that it was using a certain mac address before and i changed the option to 'use this mac address' and everythings working fine now
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch90 View Post
k i solved the problem. ya i was logged in for a while trying to fix it and i noticed that it was using a certain mac address before and i changed the option to 'use this mac address' and everythings working fine now
Glad you figured it out. That was going to be my next suggestion! Good Job!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Mac = Loss of PC Network!!! | Internet Problems - using Wifi instead of my cable »