New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirPort Express

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrdinh

mrdinh is on a distinguished road

i bought this hardware to share my printer...is there any other reason to use it?...i mean i have the wireless router already...plugging the router to the airport is redundant?....and maybe slows the internet connection down?

and seems like the range is less than the router connecting directly...can i connect straight thru the router and use the airport only for sharing printer?

help

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have a wireless router as well, but still use an Airport Express. I bought it for two reasons.

First, the Airport Express is WiFi "n", which is about 3 times faster than the WiFi "g" my wireless router supplies. I plugged my Airport Express into my wireless DSL modem/router, and once I had the Airport Express all set up, I turned off the wireless part of the DSL modem/router. Now my home WiFi comes strictly from the Airport Express. This response is being posted over it!

Secondly, I have a MacBook Pro. I take the Airport Express along with me when I am traveling to places that have wired internet but no wireless internet. I can plug the Airport Express into the wired DSL plug at such places and Voila! instant WiFi. I am then free to move around with the MacBook Pro without having to be connected to an internet cable.

So, there are two possible other things you might consider doing with that Airport Express.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mrdinh

what is your brand of router? and how do you disable the wireless part of that router?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrdinh

mac 57, how do you disable the wireless part of your router?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

mrdinh: if you post your make and model of router someone should be able to help you
QUOTE Thanks
mrdinh

my router is the 2wire brand...came with my at&t dsl service
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The documentation for 2wire routers is here

Not sure which model router you have of those listed but just had a quick look at a couple and they don't have an obvious way to disable the wireless network.

It's not essential to disable it. You could always just turn of the SSID so it doesn't show up when you're looking for networks in range.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

In general, most DSL modem/routers provide a control web page at local address 192.168.1.1 (or some similar address) where you can make changes to the functions of the firewall, the wireless and so on. Check your documentation per mrplow. I am sure that you can do the same thing.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing directories with windows users via a Sharing Only Account? | Do I HAVE to use AirPort with my Mac? »