New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless Networking on a Farm

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

annyong

annyong is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I've done some research on how to go about this, but have not been able to find anything definitive. Basically, I have an airport express hooked up in my house and I want to extend it down to my garage and my barn. The house is clad in aluminum siding and both the barn and garage have steel siding. The far end of the barn is about 350 feet from where the express is set up. I am running a 17" powerbook g4 with an airport extreme card.
I realize that airport express units can be placed in various locations to extend the network, but I don't think I want to have any sitting outside. So basically my question is: what is the easiest and cheapest way to go about this?
I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

put it on the closest wall to the place where you want the signal to go. Also if your house is a multi-level house, put it on the highest level. Most likely if the space between your house and barn is just a field it will likely get there pretty easily. You'd be surprised how far they travel with such little power.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

In a heavily metal clad and long distance environment like that soho equipment is going to be a bit hit and miss unless you can try it out first ...borrowing a couple of airport expresses maybe?

The ideal solution is cabling as much as possible. As it's the most robust and reliable solution. Cable to a convenient point and then connect an airport express as close to where you'll use your notebook.

Are they all on the same electricity ring main by chance? If so you could you ethernet over power adapters (1 in the house, 1 in the garage and/or barn). Then connect an airport express to the garage/barn adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ethernet cable under ground?
QUOTE Thanks
annyong

annyong is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I don't think they are on the same ring, though I'm not positive what that means. Basically, each structure has its own electrical box which gets its power from a central pole.
What do you mean by "ethernet over power adapters"?
The garage is a somewhat central location--150 feet from the barn and from the house.
There is also a phone jack in the barn and we get our internet via DSL. How easy is it to set up another DSL location?
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

To set up the dsl over the phone line, I'd think you'd need another modem. I personally would go the ethernet cable route... put it inside some plastic or metal pipe and run it a few inches under the ground, then on the end set a wireless router up
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

If this is mission critical to you, then cable is the only way to go. Not sure where you are based but you can buy direct bury network cable in most countries. Actually a little research via Google revels a number of folk's who have used standard network cable in either plastic or metal piping to protect it when buried.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WPA2 Enterprise(Cisco) connectivity | Bluetooth Dilemma »