New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac - Very slow web browsing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AJB

AJB is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!

I have experienced a marked decline in the speed of my 4 months old 24" 2.8 Intel iMac with 2G memory, when downloading web pages.

I connect wirelessly (due to absence of phone socket in room) to a Draytek Vigor router, and this is the only Mac using the router generally.

The router is showing the following broadband statistics:

DSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 6112000 10.0 22.5

This seems OK and suggests it is not an ISP or router issue?

Signal strength is usually full as the router is in the next room. I am running 11g only, security is on but SSID is not hidden.

Any advice to help me return to rapid download speeds would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

My first advice would be to power off the router, let it sit for ten minutes or so and then power it back on.

I do not have the same router, but I do notice that whenever the web seems to be slowing down, this usually cures it. Remember that your router is itself a computer system. Like any computer, it benefits from being restarted now and then. It just sort of cleans things up.

Try this and report back.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
AJB

Mac Specs: iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!

Hi Mac57. I have tried the router re-start - it is part of my problem solving routine. Switch off, power off at wall, wait and re-start both iMac and router. This does not result in a cure (although it is very useful if the signal strength dies).

I have also checked activity monitor, obviously, and CPU is not being stretched. Nothing else is slow on the iMac.

I can make it MUCH worse if I run Aperture, but that application is very processor hungry at times, especially when uploading images to my web site. However, I have Aperture off most of the time.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Also make sure you have all the latest software updates. At least 1 other forum member has reported improved network performance with 10.5.3

mrplow

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
AJB

I am running 10.5.3 and software is updated every week.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Is it the same whether you use Safari or Firefox?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

OK, I think we can rule out the router. Assuming nothing else is running and you are still having these issues, how about the obvious things:

1/ Use the Safari, Reset Safari menu item to clear out all of Safari's caches
2/ Use the Safari, Empty Cache menu item just to be sure
3/ Get and run OnyX - run all of the maintenance scripts and then reboot

Alexis has a good question. Is it the same with Firefox? If you don't have Firefox, it might be worth getting it just to try this out.

Also, what version of Safari are you running? You should be up to 3.1.1 at this point.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

One other thought comes to mind. Check your Login Items (System Preferences, Accounts, your_user_id, Login Items).

What else is running on the machine by default? You mention that you have 2GB of RAM, so there should be plenty, but the fact that you can make the situation much worse by running a memory hog like Aperture suggests that you are running low on RAM. This makes me wonder what ELSE might be consuming your RAM?

If you don't have the excellent freeware Menu Meters you should get it, install it and enable both the CPU monitoring and the memory monitoring. That way you can keep an eye on these critical resources at all time to be sure that they are not being hogged.

Finally, how much disk space do you have left? Could it be that your Mac is just starting to thrash due to low disk space?

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

...and one last thing. Related to my ruminations of memory (above) this thread concerns itself with excessive memory usage by Safari. An interesting side note to this conversation about Safari performance.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Networking from Macbook to older PowerMac? | why is there someone named jay under 'shared' in Finder »