Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Internet, Networking, and Wireless (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/)
-   -   Trying to Remotely Access My Windows XP Machine from My MacBook Air (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/110335-trying-remotely-access-my-windows-xp-machine-my-macbook-air.html)

purinkle 05-31-2008 11:18 AM

Trying to Remotely Access My Windows XP Machine from My MacBook Air
 
All,

I am trying to remotely access my Windows XP machine that is connected
to the same wireless router as my MacBook Air but after much Googling
don't seem to be able to find the answer

Would anybody be able to help me out?

Many thanks
Rob

umang7888 05-31-2008 11:30 AM

Enable remote desktop on your Windows Machine.

go to http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...p/default.mspx

Download the Remote Desktop Application for mac.

Run the application & type in the IP address of your windows machine in there & you will be accessing your Windows Xp machine easily!

Cheers.

mysterd429 05-31-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purinkle (Post 665034)
All,

I am trying to remotely access my Windows XP machine that is connected
to the same wireless router as my MacBook Air but after much Googling
don't seem to be able to find the answer

Would anybody be able to help me out?

Many thanks
Rob

Rob,

What sort of access are you trying for? Remote desktop? File sharing? Ping? Can you access it from a different Mac besides your Air?

I have an XP box that I access using remote desktop from my Mac and it works fine.

Don

purinkle 05-31-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysterd429 (Post 665090)
Rob,

What sort of access are you trying for? Remote desktop? File sharing? Ping? Can you access it from a different Mac besides your Air?

I have an XP box that I access using remote desktop from my Mac and it works fine.

Don

Don,

I am trying to create a remote desktop so I can control my Windows machine from the other side of the house

The main sticking point seems to be the fact that I am running XP Home instead of XP Pro

Many thanks
Rob

purinkle 05-31-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umang7888 (Post 665037)
Enable remote desktop on your Windows Machine.

go to http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...p/default.mspx

Download the Remote Desktop Application for mac.

Run the application & type in the IP address of your windows machine in there & you will be accessing your Windows Xp machine easily!

Cheers.

If only it were as easy as that

It looks like remote desktop is not available in XP Home it is only available in Pro

From what I have seen it looks like I am going to have to use a third-party VNC application

mysterd429 06-01-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purinkle (Post 665097)
Don,

I am trying to create a remote desktop so I can control my Windows machine from the other side of the house

The main sticking point seems to be the fact that I am running XP Home instead of XP Pro

Many thanks
Rob

I'm not a MS Windows person, but Google makes it look like that sticking point is very sticky. (I've never used XP Home, so I forgot about that limitation.)

I have RealVNC installed on my XP box as well. I use Chicken of the VNC as the client on my Mac, and it all works fine.

Good luck!

mudpuppy 06-01-2008 09:43 AM

What mysterd429 said. I do the same thing and it works like a champ.

purinkle 06-01-2008 09:53 AM

I don't know what the problem was but I installed RealVNC on my Windows box this morning and setup the server and then connected from my Mac using CotVNC and it worked straight away!

Thanks for your help though, guys

I just need to work out how to speed up the connection but that probably means buying a faster router!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.