New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Sharing iPhoto Libraries - Connection Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

loshman55

loshman55 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" 1GB RAM 2.4 Ghz Intel iMac

Hello-

I recently switched the household over to Mac picking up an iMac for myself and a Mac Book for my wife. Most of our photos are now on my iMac and my wife needs access to them. I have sharing setup in my preferences and I learned how to directly share the Pictures folder without moving it into the public folder using "The Missing Manual" book I also picked up. We tested it and eureka, she was able to get into my photo libraries.

The problem I'm having now is that if I close iPhoto, it disconnects my wife until I reopen the app. I can't seem to find an option that will allow her to access the libraries regardless if I have iPhoto open or not. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Losh
QUOTE Thanks
loshman55

Bumping my own thread... still can't seem to figure this out and it's driving my wife nuts not to be able to get into my photos which is in turn driving me nuts.

When she clicks on my iMac in the finder, she can see my photos folder which she then clicks on to get to the photo library folder but the library doesn't show up. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
RobertC

RobertC will become famous soon enough

Well, if you want the pictures to stay in iPhoto, copy the library across, and hold down the option key when you click on iPhoto and choose select library (more info here). This is not an ideal process I know.

The other option is to extract the contents of the library which will always be accessible.

I'm sorry that these solutions are not great, but they are the best I can suggest.
QUOTE Thanks
loshman55

Appreciate the input. As I recall when I moved the photos over from my old PC, they were immediately loaded into iPhoto which I'm not learning does not have the same directory/file setup you see with Windows. (e.g. just a bunch of directories with my photo files in them) If I had known that I would have probably approached it differently because I would prefer to have my photos available that way vs. embedded in iPhoto.

If I go through the process of extracting all of my photos (12k + in the library) then am I essentially going to have duplicate info on my hard drive and eat up a whole lot of space?

Thanks!

Losh
QUOTE Thanks
RobertC

RobertC will become famous soon enough

Yes, I'm afraid that you are. The only other option after that would be to Export from the File menu each time you import from a camera.
QUOTE Thanks
loshman55

Ugh...

So not only would I have to double up all of my photos by exporting the library, I would have to do double duty each time I import from my camera? Is is it possible to just move the image files onto my hard drive without importing them into iPhoto?

Again, many thanks for the help!!

Losh
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

A few options that might help as well.
http://www.macworld.com/article/5064...italphoto.html

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
loshman55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
A few options that might help as well.
http://www.macworld.com/article/5064...italphoto.html
I'll check this out... thanks much!
QUOTE Thanks
lampie73

lampie73 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loshman55 View Post
Ugh...

So not only would I have to double up all of my photos by exporting the library, I would have to do double duty each time I import from my camera? Is is it possible to just move the image files onto my hard drive without importing them into iPhoto?

Again, many thanks for the help!!

Losh
Depending on your camera, the camera should show in the finder as a removable device. You could then navigate to the images and copy and paste them anywhere on your mac or to a shared folder where they could be accessed from a second mac.
Also if you right-lick on your IPhoto Library you get an option called 'Show packet content'. Choose that and you are able to browse inside your Library. You will be able to copy pictures and see how nicely Iphoto sorts your pics
Do not alter delete files any of the files.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Add USB HDD to Time Capsule | Having issues printing to a Print Server »