New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Couple of Time Capsule Questions-Remote Access/Backup Possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

weatherman

weatherman is on a distinguished road

So, just switched over to a Mac (really liking it) and need to "consolidate" my hodge podge of routers/wifi setup around my house.

I'd like to use a Time Capsule as main router/wireless basse, then add Airport Express units at three different locations in the house to enable streaming of itunes to three different stereo systems in the house so music is same in all areas of house (poor man's way to set up in-wall stereo wiring!). Sound reasonable?

Then, I want to use the TC as a wireless access point for my Windows laptop (office still uses Windows so stuck with that for work).

I also plan to connect USB based printer to one of the Airport Express units for wireless printing from the Mac. Will my Windows PC be able to see that on the network when connected?

I will obviously use the TC as a backup (wired--it seems wireless backup is very slow and I do have 10/100 wiring between office and TC location).

One question on backups---can I configure my parents Mac to connect to my TC via the internet and backup files from their machine on my TC as well as my own from my local network? Just thought I would try and help them out as well in this process.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need a new router--please help! | Security »