New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

View computers connected to network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

p-mads

p-mads is on a distinguished road

When I was at school I could view all the computers on the same network simply in the finder , just below devices (one of the added features in leopard). Now that I am at home, i can't see my PC and my sisters laptop, even though we are all connected to the same router. Any ideas of why this is? I am pretty sure you dont have to enable sharing on the other computers since most computers on the network at my school had sharing disabled but i could still see that they were connected to the network.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

This is just a guess, but thinking maybe your Windows machines have the Firewall turned on and not set to allow File and Printer Sharing.

All my Windows XP Pro systems show up on my Macs here and I have that enabled in the firewall on XP.
QUOTE Thanks
p-mads

i have file and printer sharing allowed but it still doesnt show up. Thanks though
QUOTE Thanks
umang7888

umang7888 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT

make sure u check ur finder prefrences to show the sahred computers in sidebar..Finder>Prefrences>Sidebar(Tab)>Make sure under the shared Bonjour & Coonnected Servers Options are checked.

Make sure your windows machine's firewall has File Sharing Enabled.

And if it should show up in leopard in a while.

If it does not try to reboot all the computers..

It should show up..still it doesn't then it might have something to do with your home network!!

iPod 5.5 Gen Video 30 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB |Airport Express |
MacBook Pro Penryn 2.5 GHz | 2 GB RAM | NVida GeFroce 8600 GMT|
QUOTE Thanks
p-mads

Alright, thanks for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

make sure all computers are in the same workgroup also
QUOTE Thanks