New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Should I Get a Time Capsule?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mufasa

Mufasa is on a distinguished road

So I'm a big movie kind of guy and my 250 GB Passport drive is full and my computer's drive is also getting filled up pretty fast. So I have two options, I can either get a 1TB Time Capsule and have the great wireless Time Machine auto backups going on along with the Wireless N (my Belkin G router sucks), or I could just get a 1TB My Book and call it a day and use the Firewire 800 port to transfer files a little bit faster. What do you guys think? I have the money for both and I'm kinda leaning towards the Time Capsule but I'm not sure. How long would it take to transfer my data from the 250GB drive to the Time Capsule?

Also, what format is the Time Capsule drive in? Does it support transferring files larger than 4GB's? Because Windows has that problem with NTFS drives and such.
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

250GB would take approximately 10+ hours if you use cable for the first backup instead of wireless.

Thats right you get N capable router with it which is much faster than b/g. You can actually feel the difference. Time Machine backups are extremely cool coz you never have to worry about accidentally deleting files or corrupt OS or broken HDD. Its formated HFS+ and you can transfer files bigger than 4GB.

I dont know what FS my WD Netcenter uses but i have transferred movie ISO's which are usually 4.3GB's and its fine.

If you decide not to get the TC, you should consider WD Netcenter. Its a great NAS and I have no problem using it with Ubuntu and Mac. I am so glad to have made that choice when I got it almost 18 months back. Its 500GB and its filled up so I got the TC for the N range and 1TB monster space.

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks
Mufasa

Mufasa is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks buddy! What does NAS stand for? And yeah I basically have like 7GB ISO files that are just stuck on my bootcamp partition drive.

Also, once I say transfer a movie to the TC and one day I want to see it, is it wise to just play it off the TC or transfer it back to my desktop and then play it? Same goes for documents and such.
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

NAS - Network Attached Storage. Instead of sticking it in your firewire/USB port, you just connect a ethernet cable between the NAS and your router. THat way you can access it wirelessly.

You dont have to copy back anything to your mac/pc's HDD. You can read/write docs, play music/video and even ISO files directly from the TC as long as you have good wireless signal from your TC.

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11677
QUOTE Thanks
lullupiu

lullupiu is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I have a WD Netcenter 250 GB and am trying to setup Time Machine on either one of the 2 MACs we own and am having a hard time. My WD Netcenter is currenlty being used as storage for a PC. I have created folder with only MAC access and also folders with both MAC and PC access.

When I try setting up Time Machine I do not get a prompt to choose what partition to be designated for TM. I get an empty box and can't do anything. I work in IT, I am a power user in Windows, I know about network but am new to MAC stuff. Can anybody help?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

I think the TC would be a good choice for you whether you use time machine or not. A 1TB time capsule would hold a lot of movies for you!

QUOTE Thanks
James-

James- will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen

I think as you said money is not a issue, the time capsule is the best option, as its wireless and dont have to worry about wires ect.

"What you know you know, what you don't ant worth knowing!" Me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport problem (Powerbook G3), Please help! | Coonect iPods/iPhone through Airport Extreme?? »