Linksys Wired DSL Router - set up help please
Newbie needing advice. Just got a Linksys Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41) off ebay and am having trouble setting it up.:(
Basically I do not know what settings to put into the set up screen. I thought it would do it all automatically under the "obtain an IP automatically (DHCP)" selection but obviously not and the instructions seem geared for PC.
Also my plan is to be able to connect my works laptop to the router, once installed properly on the Mac. Does anyone know if it will just work? At the moment I unplug the cable modem, disconnect mac, connect laptop and turn it on and it does just work.
I'm on UK Virgin cable if it helps.
All help greatly received.:)
In general, these are the settings you want to configure:
1. Your ISP settings, in the vast majority of cases it should be DHCP, but there can be a number of pitfalls even if it does use DHCP.
2. Your Wireless SSID. You should change this from the default (probably "linksys") to something easily identifiable to you.
3. Wireless channel. Survey pre-existing wireless routers using a tool like AirPort Radar. Then, change the channel so that it's notconflicting with an existing router.
4. Wireless security. Set this to WPA and choose a "passphrase", this is the password you'll use the first time you connect to it wirelessly.
Once this is done, just close your browser, then:
5. Reset the modem by unplugging it, wait 10 seconds, plug it back in.
6. Reset the router by unplugging it, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in.
7. Reboot the computer, unplug the ethernet cord.
8. Click the wi-fi control in the menu bar (looks like a fan), your network SSID that you configured in step 2 should appear in the list of choices.
9. Click on it and enter your WPA passphrase when prompted.
10. After about 10 seconds, it should connect and you should be on the Internet wirelessly.
All working now, thanks.
Glad to hear you got it working and Excellent help as usual CWA!!!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.