New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule... a few questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cknight88

cknight88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic

Hey all,

I am looking to buy a time capsule for my home network however have a few questions first.

1) I understand its main feature is seemless backups, however i would use more of an NAS system, as i want to mainly use this to stream files, can this be done? i.e could it house my movie and music collection for access by all on my network!?

2) Can it work with 10.4 as im still tigering my PBG4? obviously time machine wont.

3) Can you access its contents remotely as its connected to the internet?!

Cheers for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Yes you can stream media from TC . Yes you can use TC as a NAS with Tiger. Yes you can access the content remotely, atleast thats what she said but i never tried it myself.

Actually streaming media is great from TC but just like any other NAS you should place the TC in a good/central location so the media wont be choppy.

From this discussion, it seems you can access TC remotely.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6805624

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks
stukdog

stukdog is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can definitely access it from the web. (You can also change the configuration via the web) We have quite a few Time Machines sitting in our center behaving as remote AFP drives.

Of course, all you'd need is a static ip or some DynDNS action.

Macminicolo.net - Your Mac mini in a data center. The perfect low cost server.
QUOTE Thanks
cknight88

cknight88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic

thanks guys. extremely good to know! I think you've just made me want one even more, if that was possible!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« D-Link DIR-655 questions | Routers extreme »