New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMAC networking with Vista problems. Please help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonathan12uiz

jonathan12uiz is on a distinguished road

Ok here is the setup:

I have the iMAC connected to the internet wirelessly through my linksys wireless router.
I have my Vista powered desktop PC connected to the internet through ethernet cable connecting to my iMAC.
Then there is my XP powered laptop that is connected to the internet wirelessly through the linksys router also.

Here is the situation:
I can connect to the internet with all 3 computers.
I can pull files off the iMAC from the desktop, but I don't know how to take files from the desktop to the iMAC.

Now here is where I don't know what is going on.
I can usually share files between all my computers that are connected to the same router. in windows i just "run" the "\computersname" and bam! window with all the shared files.
BUT now that my desktop is connected through the iMAC to the router, do I have to change the iMAC to the same workgroup as the windows computers? does mac os x even have a networking workgroup option thing?

Help would greatly be appreciated. I'm still new at the whole mac game.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I guess my first question is why would you connect your Vista machine to your iMac? Your Linksys router should have a 4 port ethernet switch at the rear of it. Each one of your computers (assuming they don't have a wireless adapter) should plug into it.

Then, you'll need to enable sharing on each machine that you intend to share files from. That procedure will vary depending on which version of Windows you have and how your security works. Each machine does not need to be set to use the same workgroup (although that is helpful on your Windows machines). But once you have shares set up, you should be able to browse for your other machines in the Finder by going to the "Go" menu and clicking "Connect to Server".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jonathan12uiz

jonathan12uiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I guess my first question is why would you connect your Vista machine to your iMac? Your Linksys router should have a 4 port ethernet switch at the rear of it. Each one of your computers (assuming they don't have a wireless adapter) should plug into it.

Then, you'll need to enable sharing on each machine that you intend to share files from. That procedure will vary depending on which version of Windows you have and how your security works. Each machine does not need to be set to use the same workgroup (although that is helpful on your Windows machines). But once you have shares set up, you should be able to browse for your other machines in the Finder by going to the "Go" menu and clicking "Connect to Server".
Reasoning behind the vista desktop being connected to the iMac for internet is because I no longer want to run a long ethernet cable from my room upstairs to the computer downstairs, with the wiring having no choice but to be exposed laying on the ground and dangling down each step. Very dangerous. LOL!
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

I found this article interesting as to how to make a Mac connect to a shared drive on a Windows machine, it works even wirelessly in my home from my eMac (Leopard 10.5.2 to my XP machine and it did work when said PC ran Vista which got tossed for obvious reasons)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106471

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan12uiz View Post
Reasoning behind the vista desktop being connected to the iMac for internet is because I no longer want to run a long ethernet cable from my room upstairs to the computer downstairs, with the wiring having no choice but to be exposed laying on the ground and dangling down each step. Very dangerous. LOL!
I would sooner put a wireless adapter in that machine than to use the iMac as a bridge (which it really wasn't designed to do). It works in a pinch, the same way popping the clutch can start a car, but that doesn't mean you always want to start the car that way.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Full restore using Time Capsule backup??? | wireless network »